Topic: 1935 V8 Ford Deluxe 85 hp engine

tgt4446    -- 02-12-2012 @ 11:57 AM
  Did all of these motors for this model have aluminum heads? Did all these motors for this model have babbit (sp?) main bearing? If so, if you rebuild the motor, can you use a different bearing other than the Babbit?

Don Rogers    -- 02-12-2012 @ 2:19 PM
  All 1935 Ford V-8 Engines had babbited main bearings. All 1935 passenger cars and commercial cars(pickup, panel delivery, sedan delivery, and station wagon)had aluminun heads, while the trucks had cast iron heads.

Let your conscience and pocketbook be your guide!!

Stroker    -- 02-12-2012 @ 4:15 PM
  As for the second part of your question; babbitted engines will not accept "insert" style bearings. There are however, shops that specialize in re-pouring and machining Babbitt bearings.
I'd start my search on Fordbarn, in the Model A section, or Hemmings Motor News for sources.

There are some advantages to babbitt. Generally as cast and machined, they include very thin shims that can be removed to accommodate for wear. Insert bearing on the other hand, have a very thin layer of bearing material bonded to an electroplated layer of copper on a steel sh*ll, which once worn down to the copper plating are basically trashed.

Babbitt was also very forgiving of contaminants; and such bad things like fragments of carbon would simply embed in the thick bearing material. Inserts on the other hand, are highly intolerant of any contaminant.

Having said all this, if it was me, I'd look for a 36 LB block, so you don't have to go through
all this babbitt exercise, because you will be at the mercy of a few; and insert bearings have
proven themselves in Ford flatheads for the remaining 18 years of production, and in all modern
engines in the last 77 years.

tgt4446    -- 02-13-2012 @ 6:29 AM
  I appreciate your knowledge on the aluminum heads. But my heads are 21 bolt and a magnet sticks to them, I am wondering if this car was built in late 1935 and had a 1936 motor installed in it.I am the third my owner , my uncle bought it new and my folks purchased it from him in 1937, and they claimed the motor never had a bolt taken out of it. Motor runs good but has a lot of blow by, and burns oil and smokes out the exhaust.jj Someone can email me if they need the VIN for this vehicle

Don Rogers    -- 02-13-2012 @ 8:53 AM
  I tried to send you a private message requesting your vin # but you have disabled that feature and I don't know your email. Please send me your vin # to ConvV8@aol.com

Thanks, Don Rogers

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=4333