Topic: Home-grown PCV?

Arts40    -- 02-12-2012 @ 9:03 AM
  Engine parts recently pulled from our '40 Deluxe convertible include an air cleaner that's stock except someone mod'ed it thus: a ~7/8" flex-walled metal tube is sweat-soldered to the rear-facing side of the cleaner's outer bowl. Whether it lets into the bowl's lower or upper chamber or both I can't quite be sure. At its back end, the flex tube tees into a flip-capped fitting that's pressed(jammed?)into the neck where the breather cap once was. Flex tube and tee cap are a manufactured assembly. Is this an after-market thing? Something adapted from a later model? Worth keeping for any reason? While we're at it, can someone explain why the air cleaner is chambered the way it is?

Doug

TomO    -- 02-12-2012 @ 9:23 AM
  There were many aftermarket items available for your car. The breather cap with a flexible pipe is one of them. They were used when the blowby became excessive and the fumes coming from the engine compartment over came the driver's nose.

I would discard it and the air cleaner and search for a replacement air cleaner.

The chamber in the air cleaner are used to silence the sound of the carburetor sucking air.

Tom

Arts40    -- 02-12-2012 @ 11:21 AM
  Thanks, Tom. I'll follow your advice.

Silencing,sure. But peering into it I also got curious about why it's partitioned not only circumferentially around the air duct, but sectioned horizontally the way it is nearer the bottom. No biggie.

Doug

Arts40    -- 02-12-2012 @ 11:22 AM
  Thanks, Tom. I'll follow your advice.

Silencing,sure. But peering into it I also got curious about why it's partitioned not only circumferentially around the air duct, but sectioned horizontally the way it is nearer the bottom. No biggie.

Doug

Big Red 51    -- 02-13-2012 @ 6:10 AM
  Don't forget that PCV valves are/where required on 25 year old cars in California.
Don

supereal    -- 02-13-2012 @ 6:52 AM
  The baffles in the air cleaner are designed to direct the flow of air. This is called "laminar flow", essential to provide an adequate supply of air despite the vortex effects of the strainer and silencer. Modern vehicles do the same thing with the convoluted ducts leading to the intake manifold. The attachments for the breather were, as noted above, were designed to conduct blowby down into the airstream, instead of filling the car with noxious smoke. They were sold by places such as Western Auto, etc. Because of the war, cars were driven until they were almost completely worn out, causing lots of what we now call "air pollution".

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=4332