Topic: Radiator Fan Free Play

41-42fordadvisor    -- 02-11-2012 @ 1:54 PM
  The radiator fan can be pulled out about a quarter to a half inch forward from the crank shaft on a 1941 Ford V-8 engine. It does not touch the radiator in the forward position and when pushed rearward it will stay in position when driving. What causes this and should I be concerned?

kubes40    -- 02-11-2012 @ 3:00 PM
  Concerned? How about terrified?
The fan should be rigid fore and aft. Period.
If it is moving it must be loose at the mounts. Or perhaps the crankshaft pulley is loose.
Either way, you need to solve this before running it again.

supereal    -- 02-12-2012 @ 10:36 AM
  Apt choice of words, Mike. Any play regarding the fan is an indication that the fan will probably come loose, with destruction of the expensive radiator as a result, along with anything else in the path of the "buzz saw". The oil reservoir hub that became the standard in '42 thru '48 is another example of one of Ford's "better ideas" that were misnamed. When an owner neglects to properly fill the hub with transmission oil (yes, that is not a typo inspite of the decal or owner's manual) and the lubrication of the shaft's aluminum body ceases, destruction follows. I've run a ball bearing hub in my '47 for many years. We constructed it in our machine shop after repairing and/or replacing the originals several times. The culprit was the extra belt tension necessary to prevent slippage of the smaller pulley on the alternator.

flatheadfan    -- 02-14-2012 @ 3:13 AM
  I have seen this several times. Usually, after a backwoods rebuild job. The source of the problem is the front bearing and its' associated shims. The shaft the bearing rides on should be "staked"(ie: centered punched). This prevents bearing movement on the shaft. The bearing (which sits in a sh*ll in the front plate) is suppose to stop this lateral movement.

The second culprit are the washers in front of the bearing and behind it that act as shims and dust seals. Things are a little crowded but there are two felt washers and four thin washers, Two with a large holes and two with smaller holes. Everything is held in place with a snap ring. However, the sequencing is important. If any of the washers are left out or the snap ring is missing or things are mis-assembled you will have shaft movement with observable fan movement.

Is it a dangers situation? I don't think it is or lets say, I haven't seen any problems. When running, the belt usually keeps things in somewhat of an alignment. However, shaft wear is greatly accelerated and will chew-up the brushes quickly.

But first, before I started to tear down things I would check the mechanical condition of the pulley assembly is its' attachment to the generator.

Hope this helps.

Tom

TomO    -- 02-14-2012 @ 6:35 AM
  Mike was 1,000% correct in calling this a dangerous condition.
The fan on the 41 Ford V-8 is attached to the pulley on the crankshaft. There is no bearing on this fan.

Tom

flatheadfan    -- 02-14-2012 @ 8:51 AM
  Yup-you are right Tom. I was thinking of Pre-'40 fans with the fan mounted on the generator. I guess I need more coffee in the morning before I answer any questions!

Tom

This message was edited by flatheadfan on 2-14-12 @ 11:58 PM

supereal    -- 02-14-2012 @ 9:20 AM
  Remove and examine the fan carefully for cracks, particularly on or near the hub. These are not unusual, and may indicate that one or more of the blades is about to break. This is true of both the crank mounted type, and the belt driven variety. I have seen broken blades do considerable damage to the hood.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=4330