Topic: 41-48 Ford Leaf Spring Covers - Source?

ford1941    -- 02-11-2012 @ 8:49 AM
  Does anyone have a source for either NOS or replacement metal covers to replace the covers used on the leaf spring assemblies on the 41-48 Super Deluxe cars? Thanks, Scott

supereal    -- 02-11-2012 @ 10:40 AM
  I don't believe that anyone is reproducing the spring covers. Ford used them for a time between '40 and '48, but discontined the covers as a replacement item either for reasons of cost, or because they tended to gather road dirt where it couldn't be removed. If they were taken off to repair the spring, they usually couldn't be reassembled, and were discarded.

kubes40    -- 02-11-2012 @ 3:05 PM
  Hi Scott,
I sent you Dan Schawrtz's number via the FordBarn. He makes beautiful reproduction covers.
The covers were discontinued for a few reasons.
One: They often tended to rattle after some road use.
Two: They actually trapped road debris in thereby wearing the springs quicker than a similar spring without covers.
Three: The advent of coil springs.
Simply a poor design.

Stroker    -- 02-11-2012 @ 3:05 PM
  Ford1941:

I'd get in touch with Mike Kubarth, the Lead Author of the upcoming 40 Ford Book. Mike has
experience in crafting covers for 40 Fords, and probably knows more about spring covers than
anyone else in the Club. Like Super, I don't believe anyone is reproducing these on a volume
basis, as quite frankly they were not effective in their intended purpose, which was to keep
grease in, and dirt out.

From a historical point of view, they should be installed; from a practical point of view,
they were not one of Ford's "Better Ideas". Maybe the Judges among us can comment on point deductions, if any.

kubes40    -- 02-12-2012 @ 6:03 AM
  Stroker, while I appreciate your kind words, I don't feel worthy of them. Regardless, thank you.
If the model in question had covers as factory "standard" installation, there is a deduction for their absence. Six (6) points per spring.
By the way, I got a chuckle out of you "not one of Ford's better ideas". Well said

ford1941    -- 02-12-2012 @ 4:52 PM
  Thank you to everyone for the great info. I do not want to lose the points, so I will continue trying to track down covers or new springs. I will definitely contact Dan for the covers. Thanks again, Scott

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=4329