Topic: Rouge Division questions

40fordor    -- 02-09-2012 @ 5:17 PM
  I have a very original 40 fordor (interior,exterior and running gear) which I would like to bring to the Eastern National Meet. There are some items that have been replaced or painted over the years and I need clarification to determine how much these would detract from a Rouge award.---repainted five wheels and both rear fenders,---replaced driver's side door and vent glasses, replaced driver's side windshield,---four tube shocks
If this car is not a Rouge canidate then I would drive another car to the meet in the touring class a 36 phaeton.
Don

trjford8    -- 02-09-2012 @ 7:04 PM
  If the interior is all original you would be eligible for an award in that category. The tube shocks would disqualify you in the running gear category and the repaint of the wheels and rear fenders would disqualify you in the body/exterior category.
Bring the car to the meet as it has enough originality that it will defiitely create a lot of interest. We all like to see original cars even though you have made some minor changes.

This message was edited by trjford8 on 2-9-12 @ 7:08 PM

40fordor    -- 02-10-2012 @ 7:30 AM
  trjford8, thank you for your reply. My question was promped by the Rouge Division explainations on page 32 of the 2011 ROSTER OF MEMBERS where it states that "A minimum of 90% of the area being considered must be original from the manufacture of the vehicle to be certified for the Rouge Award or subsequent V-8 Medallion Award."
I don't understand what this 90% means. For example would my 4 tube shocks be greater than 10% of the running gear? Would the repainted areas be more than 10% of the total original paint?
Clarification of what the 90% means is my question.
Don

trjford8    -- 02-10-2012 @ 5:32 PM
  The 90% applies to the exterior paint.In the rules if you look at item/line #5 it gives a fair idea of what is allowable. A through K allows for replacement parts of items that can wear out over time and considered maintenance. The 90% rule on paint would allow for a damged fender that had to be repaired,etc. The shocks are not original and would definitely disqualify the running gear.If the interior is all original you would definitely qualify for the Rouge award on the interior. Bring the car to the meet and the judges will be happy to discuss the car with you.It's an excellent way to learn more about your car. There is a new 1940 restoration/fact book in the works. I suspect that those working on the book may want to look at your car.

40fordor    -- 02-11-2012 @ 8:55 AM
  trjford8, thank you again for the clarifications. The 90% rule was unclear to me and I suspect others also. The tube shocks were on it when I purchased it in 1959 from the daughter of the orignal buyer. It had 33,000 miles at that time and the price was $130. The windows that I replaced were so fogged that it was unsafe to drive. Both rear fenders had been hit therefore I repaired them in 1960. The wheels were repainted much later but before there was a Rogue Award and they would be restored as you indicated. The requirements for this award would eliminate my car on several points now that I understand them better. The starter button is chrome instead of the orignal sand and the clutch and brake petal pads are from a 47 so the interior would not pass.
My award will have to be just owning a nice old Ford for 52 years. The original seals around the doors, trunk and windows leak badly and water stains the upholstry as a result I try not to drive or park it in the rain. Since it is not a Rouge car I will not be driving it to Hiawassee which is only about 235 miles away. This is my first attempt to post a photo so I hope it works and thanks again for all the information about the Rouge class.
Don

deluxe40    -- 02-11-2012 @ 9:32 AM
  The last judging form I saw had tires and wheels listed on the "Chassis" page rather than the "Exterior" page. Does this mean that a car with restored wheels might still qualify for a Rouge award for Exterior if the paint on the body is 90% original?

This message was edited by deluxe40 on 2-11-12 @ 9:35 AM

ford38v8    -- 02-11-2012 @ 4:48 PM
  That's a good thought about the wheels, but as I remember (I'm not a Rouge Judge), one fender is considered 10%, and this car has had two fenders repaired and repainted. I saw the picture, by the way, and this is a beautiful car! I'd love to own this one!

About the interior, (again I'm not a Rouge Judge), I'm thinking the starter button and pedal pads are together less than 10%, so it may well qualify on interior for the Rouge. Hopefully, a Rouge Judge will clarify these items for us?

Alan

trjford8    -- 02-12-2012 @ 10:28 AM
  Don, I think Glen is correct that the wheels would be part of the chassis/running gear. For the interior you might check local swap meets and find a used starter button and a pair of used 40 pedal pads and replace what you have.They may not be original to the car , but they would be original parts.Even if you don't make those changes I suspect that the interior would still qualify for a Rouge. I have judged Rouge cars and those two small items would not be anything that I would use to disqualify a car. They are small parts that do need to be replaced at some point.

BERTHA    -- 02-13-2012 @ 5:55 AM
  Question...."Bertha" our 53 Ford Victoria was judged (passed), in all three categories at the 2006 ENM. Since then I have had the rear springs re-build and replaced the two leaking rear shocks, OEM style from Mac's.
Would the replacement preclude being passed again in the "running gear" category?
Are shocks not considered "safety" items?

From judging manual...
"Originality, as manufactured, is the primary criteria for certification.
Cosmetic condition, wear & tear, EXCEPT for items which might affect safety, will not be considered. Proper maintenance and reasonable cleaning is expected."

Bob

"it's only original once""

This message was edited by BERTHA on 2-14-12 @ 6:23 AM

trjford8    -- 02-13-2012 @ 6:52 AM
  Bob,in my opinion the replacing of the shocks not only would be for safety, but is part of maintenance. Not any different than replacing old tires, spark plugs, etc.

jim5618    -- 02-13-2012 @ 9:53 AM
  Seems heavily weighted on the paint? If I have 100% original parts, but they have been painted, you are done? this applies to drivetrain parts as well? (as in if the motor was painted)

trjford8    -- 02-13-2012 @ 10:30 AM
  Jim, painting the car or the motor would disqulify the car for Rouge in the running gear and exterior categories. I had a nice 38 club coupe. It had a one time repaint(of the original color when I bought it) and I rebuilt the original motor(it was using a quart of oil every 60 miles). The interior was original and my award was for the interior as I did not qualify in the other two categories. It comes down to where do you draw the line on these original cars.You are allowed routine maintenance(radiator hoses, spark plugs, plug wires, etc). It also concerns safety(new king pins, tie rod ends,shocks,tires,etc) that can make the car unsafe to drive. Even though you repaint a car the original color, it's still a repaint and no longer original.

jim5618    -- 02-14-2012 @ 6:53 PM
  Well I am out all around then. The interior is not original. I know from the notebook my uncle left that he repainted the exterior in the 60's and there is paint/overspray on the motor(looks like they didn't mask the louveres when they sprayed the hood and it got in the motor.

46fordnut    -- 02-14-2012 @ 7:23 PM
  i would love nothing more then to try that category . but mine only likes to run in the drive way . each time her one front tire touches the street it has an issue. i think it may have stage fright !! only thing that is new is tube shocks and brake system other then this NEVER painted. what you see is what it is!

100 horse running wild

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=4323