Topic: Oil Pressure

bo8109b    -- 02-07-2012 @ 10:26 AM
  On my '48, would a replacement 80# oil pressure sender give accurate readings on my dash gauge?

kubes40    -- 02-07-2012 @ 10:36 AM
  An 80# sending unit was original equipment on your vehicle. that being said, it will allow the most accurate reading this type of system was designed to allow IF all is in order. In other words, wiring, dash gauge, sending unit must all be functional and each must respectively be operating as designed.

supereal    -- 02-07-2012 @ 3:22 PM
  I agree with Mike. The 40lb sender is not being reproduced,as far as I know. I wouldn't use the term "accuracy" with most old Ford gauges, anyway. If you insist on it, I'd suggest installing an auxilliary mechanical gauge such as thE SW type. Even today, gauges are not precision instruments. For a while, "idiot" lights replaced gauges to aliviate concerns. Most modern cars don't have numbers on their gauges. The old car hobby can be hard on those with OCD.

supereal    -- 02-07-2012 @ 3:22 PM
  I agree with Mike. The 40lb sender is not being reproduced,as far as I know. I wouldn't use the term "accuracy" with most old Ford gauges, anyway. If you insist on it, I'd suggest installing an auxilliary mechanical gauge such as thE SW type. Even today, gauges are not precision instruments. For a while, "idiot" lights replaced gauges to aliviate concerns. Most modern cars don't have numbers on their gauges. The old car hobby can be hard on those with OCD.

Old Henry    -- 02-07-2012 @ 10:16 PM
  Well said, Super.

Old Henry
(The older I get, the better old looks.)

Well said, Super.

Old Henry

Did I just repeat myself?

Old Henry

Old Henry    -- 02-07-2012 @ 10:20 PM
  I've done it all. When I had my engine rebuilt I had a new 80# oil pump put in. When it was all back together the gauge read low. A mechanical gauge temporarily put where the sender was read fine. Replaced the sender. Replaced the gauge. Still reads just the same - low. So, I don't worry about it. I guess I must not be too OCD. YET!

Old Henry

This message was edited by Old Henry on 2-7-12 @ 10:21 PM

TomO    -- 02-08-2012 @ 7:01 AM
  I test the sending units with air pressure and most of the original Ford sending units are as accurate as the markings on the gauge. At 80# the gauge reads full scale, at 40# it reads half scale. The Ford sending units can be adjusted to correct about 5# error.

Henry, are you sure that your sending unit has a good ground connection? If you used any pipe dope or Teflon tape the ground connection may not be the best.

Tom

c-gor    -- 02-08-2012 @ 2:48 PM
  The following item can be used as a substitute for the 50# Ford oil pressure sending unit. It was used by Willys on their Jeep. I believe that a threaded adaptor is required to fit it into the Ford engine block
http://www.kaiserwillys.com/product/733/willys_temperatureswitches

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=4312