Topic: Distributor removal

Arts40    -- 02-04-2012 @ 6:12 AM
  Trying to remove distributor from '40 Ford V8, but it seems to be stuck to the front cover plate, and I'm leery of tapping, wedging or prying on the housing flange too hard. Any suggestions?

Brendan    -- 02-04-2012 @ 6:31 AM
  it should come right off, did you take out all the bolts?

Can't spell my way out of a paper bag!

TomO    -- 02-04-2012 @ 7:07 AM
  There are three bolts holding the distributor to the timing gear cover. If the distributor does not want to come off after all three bolts have been removed, use a brass drift punch to gently tap the ears on the distributor housing to rotate it slightly. It should then be easy to remove.

Tom

Arts40    -- 02-04-2012 @ 7:28 AM
  Thanks Tom. I'd already taken the 3 capscrews out ok.

Was then going to try tapping the housing rotation-wise 'til I looked at a spare housing and saw it has a slot at the bottom. Thought that might be a keyway (instead of a drain hole for instance). So I didn't want to risk damaging what looks to be an aluminum housing.

"Gently" you said. I'll give it a try.

Stroker    -- 02-04-2012 @ 8:15 AM
  If TomO's suggestion doesn't work, take a 1x4 block and place it flat on the cap opening on the side with the 3rd bolt. Gently tap the block and that should begin to separate the distributor
housing from the timing cover. Generally these come right off, but it may be that someone may have
"bonded" the gasket surface with Permatex. You are correct regarding the delicacy of the aluminum
housing, so just be "gentile".

Arts40    -- 02-05-2012 @ 2:45 PM
  Success. Neither terminal plate wanted to part company easily with the side flats of the housing, so I ended up removing the coil and then tapping on a wooden block placed on the top flat. That opened things up a bit, after which I used a feeler gauge to loosen the rest of the way around. Permatexed, sure enuf.

Thanks, all who responded.

Arts40    -- 02-05-2012 @ 2:47 PM
  Success. Neither terminal plate wanted to part company easily with the side flats of the housing, so I ended up removing the coil and then tapping on a wooden block placed on the top flat. That opened things up a bit, after which I used a feeler gauge to loosen the rest of the way around. Permatexed, sure enuf.

Thanks, all who responded.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=4301