Topic: Trunk support safety latch

flathead48    -- 01-31-2012 @ 3:35 PM
  While at the Saratoga meet this June a young gentleman had a 48 Mercury coupe. When he opened the truck he slide a safty latch over the trunk support arm to keep the truck from coming down. Does anyone know where these are made or any thing at all about this safety catch. Thanks

TomO    -- 01-31-2012 @ 4:20 PM
  A Regional Group 8 member started to make a safety catch a few years ago. He is now deceased and I am not sure if anyone is continuing with his project.

His was a simple design that slipped over the lower mounting bolt and then over the arm.

Tom

trjford8    -- 01-31-2012 @ 8:38 PM
  The young gentleman may have been Justin Lachausse from New York. There's not a lot of young guys in this club and especially a young guy who is a Mercury fan.He lives in New York and you can find him in the roster. Give him a call and I'll bet he can help you with the safety latch.

flathead48    -- 02-01-2012 @ 5:29 AM
  Thanks to both for the info. Rick

supereal    -- 02-01-2012 @ 10:23 AM
  One of the best things to do to protect your head is replacement of the trunk arms. My '47 trunk would drop without warning, due to weak springs and worn pivots. I installed a pair of Drake's repros, which really work. Now, no more threats of getting crowned!

This message was edited by supereal on 2-1-12 @ 10:24 AM

flathead48    -- 02-01-2012 @ 11:55 AM
  Supereal, thanks for the reply, I did replace the arms and the trunk stays up but there is always the chance.

oldford2    -- 02-01-2012 @ 4:50 PM
  I sure would like to see a sketch of the safety catch.
John

TomO    -- 02-02-2012 @ 7:15 AM
  There do not seem to be any samples left of the one that I have seen. There were only a few made and sold.

Another V-8 Guy wrote an "It Worked For Me" about his trunk support arm brace in the March/ April 1999 V-8 Times. His solution included drilling a hole in the support arm and bolting the brace to the arm. A drawing accompanied the article.

As Supereal said the best fix is to install new support arms and make sure that your trunk lid is not too heavy due to repairs.

Tom

oldford2    -- 02-02-2012 @ 8:43 AM
  TomO
Thanks for the info. I went to the home page and searched for the issue (Mar/April 99). Found it and marked down the info but you can't call up the actual content. My collection of Times is back home in MA (so is our 46) so I guess I will wait till we get home in April unless someone can copy it and post it. Not sure I have issues that far back. Thanks again. John

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=4286