Topic: brake drums?

SamVB    -- 01-26-2012 @ 8:53 PM
  I am looking to replace all brake drums on my '40 coupe. Can anyone recommend best source for quality? Thanks

supereal    -- 01-27-2012 @ 10:09 AM
  We get them from C&G. You can see them in their online catalog www.cgfordparts,com We use this vendor with no quality issues. Expect to pay about $600 for a full set.

SamVB    -- 01-27-2012 @ 7:20 PM
  Thanks. I'll take a look. Are these the type where you have to change all the wheel studs when you change the drums?

supereal    -- 01-27-2012 @ 8:17 PM
  There are two types, one fits behind the hub, the other goes over the outside. The first type does require replacing the studs. Be sure to order new studs if required. The vendor should help you with the order.

SamVB    -- 01-29-2012 @ 12:59 PM
  There are US made and foreign. I assume the USA are better quality?

supereal    -- 01-29-2012 @ 2:16 PM
  Most old car parts are now made only "offshore". I did note that C&G has "USA" with their drums. I don't know what that means, but I'm sure they will tell you.

Stroker    -- 01-29-2012 @ 4:09 PM
  Super:

I suspect that like you, I grew up with legendary "Made in USA" (Japan) labeling on Post WWII products. There is a town named "Usa" in Japan, which has been extant for several hundred years, and we were told not to trust the "Made in USA" branding, because it might have come from Usa, Japan even though Usa is not a manufacturing city.

I believe that today, if it says "Made in USA", it actually is, with the caveat that it may have been made in the USA out of "foreign-assembled components". Confused yet? Your Apple I-Pad is an American Brand, made from parts made in Southeast Asia.

Dan

nelsb01    -- 01-30-2012 @ 7:14 AM
  If you are worried about brake drums, then you should buy from JobLot Automotive in NY. The have a H U G E NOS Ford inventory.
www.joblotauto.com

SamVB    -- 01-30-2012 @ 9:13 PM
  I'll take a look at Job Lot. I just don't want to buy a low quality product that does not perform well. A number of suppliers list both USA and foreign. Just wondering if there is a difference or if one out performs the other. Thanks.

supereal    -- 01-31-2012 @ 8:08 AM
  The parts situation has become a huge problem for those of us that operate independent shops, Dan. Prices have gone thru the roof, making even fairly simple repairs outrageously expensive, particularly on foreign vehicles. Now, we are beginning to learn why, as two of the major Japanese suppliers have pled guilty to price fixing. Yazaki and Denso have been hit with fines of $548 million, and high placed executives will have to serve time in prison. These companies are major suppliers to Honda and Toyota, among others. This follows an earlier prosecution of a major producer of wiring harnesses which was fined $200 million for bid rigging and price fixing. If anyone needed a reason to "buy American"' that ought to help. Several foreign. Makers are also attempting to prevent independent shops from gaining vital service information, claiming "safety issues". We are now seeing the dark side of allowing our domestic production slip away.

This message was edited by supereal on 1-31-12 @ 8:10 AM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=4270