Topic: 1936 Ford Phaeton

tbones    -- 01-23-2012 @ 10:28 PM
  Ladies and gents:
I have just bought a 1936 Phaeton Convertible......I need some basic information>
Where is the fuse box?
What should the oil pressure read at idle? At 45mph in 3rd gear?
Where can I find an owners manual on line?
Best,
Tony

40 Coupe    -- 01-24-2012 @ 5:38 AM
  There is not a "fuse box". Your car has one 20A fuse, it is mounted inside the car on the firewall above the steering column.
The engine oil pressure will vary from cold to hot, from idle RPM to RPM at speeds. About the highest your going to see is about 50# which should make your electric gauge read max. When warm and at idle the pressure will be the lowest ABOUT 5# you should still see some pressure on the gauge.
You will not find the Deluxe owners manual "on-line" many old car parts retailers sell a reproduction, and you can probably find an original manual on ebay or through a retailer of old car literature. The oweners manual originally came in an envelope. There is a separate manual for the Std. car. The Convertible Sedan also had a instruction book for the operation of the top, this book also came with a wrench to assist in loosening the top hold down screws. The top operation book and wrench are being reproduced.

Stroker    -- 01-24-2012 @ 4:03 PM
  tbones:

Absolutely beautiful phaeton! I dissipated my youth pulling maintenance on Dad's 1960 3.8 Mk II "saloon", and while your Ford won't have some of the interesting maintenance lube points such as: lubricating the "pedal pivots", at least it doesn't have a Joseph Lucas (The Prince of Darkness) electrical system. Ford's 6V positive "earth-return" system is really very reliable if left original.

Your Ford should be much easier to maintain, and you can do it all with SAE wrenches, instead of Whitworth or metric.

Congratulations on your good taste, as early Fords and Jags are, in my humble opinion),some of the most eye-friendly creations man has ever crafted.

Alan and I both own 38 Ford Deluxe cars. To me there is a striking visual resemblance between 38 Fords, and early Jags. My favorite Jag would be the XK-120 roadster, or perhaps the C Jag
factory racer.

Living in the southwest, you should be able to enjoy your phaeton to the fullest. Like Alan,
I'd love to see it, and meet you at the next Western Regional.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=4259