Topic: 1937 Ford Deluxe 1938 Standard horns

37 Coupe    -- 01-23-2012 @ 4:32 PM
  Was the pair of vibrator horns for the 1937 Ford Deluxe the same as used on 1938 Standard? I have a pair I want to put on my 37 Standard but wiring is kinda different,my original single standard horn has two wires attached to it the pair of horns have only one each. All of the horns I have are physically the same and are stamped Swartze and some city in Mich.I have a new wiring harness that the maker has built in wiring for Deluxe horns and I have a couple schematics but I can't figure out 4 terminals on the harness and only one each from the horns. I see in the 38-39 book that a relay was used on the 38 stadard model twin horns ,it is a 81A prefix I do not think 1937 Deluxe used a relay? I know my standard single horn did not come with one. Thanks for any help.

40 Coupe    -- 01-24-2012 @ 5:50 AM
  Both horns need both + and - connection to function. It appears your original horn and the replacement are electrically different. The original horn had one wire from the battery (-) and a second to the horn button (+ ground). The replacement having only one electrical terminal uses the body of the horn to connect to ground or (+). Your horn button is still (+) so the horn will not operate this way. You will have to add a relay, and rewire.

TomO    -- 01-24-2012 @ 6:57 AM
  40 Coupe is right about the horns being wired different between 37 and 38.

If you still have your original 37 horn, check out how the wire going to the horn button is connected internally in the 37 horn and then have your 38 horns re-wired in the same manner. Any one with electrical experience can do this for you.

Tom

37 Coupe    -- 01-24-2012 @ 7:29 AM
  Always something to learn and always a curve ball it seems. Figured most of this out by studying 37-38-39 resto books. Never paid any attention before that 38 Standard used 37 Deluxe horns but with different wiring and a relay. This was first horn relay used by Ford? Seems the first may have been troublesome.I wonder what problems would Ford have had in all previous Ford horn assemblies and wiring that a relay was now required in 1938 and from then on?

juergen    -- 01-24-2012 @ 11:12 AM
  Instead of saying the pre 38 horns were a poor design let's say the post 37 horns were a better design. These 6 volt horns use from 5 to 10 amps. So at the high end the 20 amps had to go through a temporary ground through the steering column. Steel on steel temp grounds are not reliable grounds and hence the horns do not sense the full battery voltage.

With a relay, the horns could be tightly fastened to the frame for a good reliable ground. The battery voltage connection is made temporarily through a set of points designed for make/bread high current applications. So it is much more likely that the horns bave nearly the entire battery voltage applied and will sound as designed.

You could upgrade the earlier design by having a relay ground the horns from the ground signal from the horn button. The relay would differ from the 38 type by requiring a ground terminal when activated instead of 6 volts when activated. Many off the shelf relays have 4 terminals to allow for this operation.

This message was edited by juergen on 1-24-12 @ 11:15 AM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=4257