Topic: Replace window glass and channels 40 Ford

bwhitworth    -- 01-23-2012 @ 7:15 AM
  I purchased window repair kits from Mac's with no instructions. I want to replace both the glass and weather stripping in both the roll up and wing windows.
I received, 2 long channels that go up the backside and across the top of the frame. 4 small felt strips that go along the bottom edge of the opening. Also I received a support brace for the front edge of the glass. I want to know how to get the metal edges off the glass and reinstall it on new glass? Also need info on how to attach the felt stripping to the door frame and new glass. I received some very small screws to attach the felt with, but to what? Some special clips to hold the small strips to the outside edge of the window but there is no provision for holding the inside strips to the opening frame. I also received staples but have no idea where these are to be used, there is nothing to staple into, only metal.
On the wing window how is the hinge attached to the rubber seal? It looks like it is pop-riveted to the rubber. Does any one have suggestions for detailed istructions about window repair and replacement?
Thanks

TomO    -- 01-23-2012 @ 7:54 AM
  For instructions on how to remove and replace the glass, go to

http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/flathead_servicelinks.htm

To get the metal channel off of the glass, you should first remove the divider strip by removing the bolts that hold it to the channel and using a rubber hammer, carefully knock it off of the glass, then do the same to the channel.

To re-install on new glass install glass setting tape in the channel and position the channel on the glass and tap it into place. Trim off the excess tape and then do the same for the divider.

The felt stripping attaches to the door with the small screws that you received. The staples are used to attach the strips to the inside moldings. They fit into pre-drilled holes in the moldings. I do not like the provided staples, I made my own from wire purchased at the hardware store. Use an awl or other pointed instrument to poke holes in the fuzzy strips for the staples. I used 3 of them, one at the front to hold the strip in alignment, one at the back to hold the strip straight and tight and the 3rd to poke the holes for the staples.

To replace the wing window seal, you will have to remove the wing window by removing the nut and spring and then drilling out the old rivet at the pivot. I purchased replacement rivets at the hardware store. Do not lose any of the parts.

The seal is held in place by a rivet in the bottom of the seal. Drill it out and remove the old seal. To get the new seal in place, you will have to lubricate it and the channel. I used electrician's lube for conduit. It will not attack the rubber and works very well. Pull the seal in place and let it relax for a couple of days in a warm place. Then check alignment, re-align if necessary. When you are satisfied that the rubber is in the correct place, drill the hole for the rivet and install the rivet and the vent window.

I hope that this helps you. These instructions are for a closed car. Convertible window replacement is different.

Tom

This message was edited by TomO on 1-23-12 @ 7:56 AM

rg130    -- 01-24-2012 @ 9:27 AM
  TomO: I have a 47 convertible. How is the glass/seal replacement different? Thank you, Bud

supereal    -- 01-24-2012 @ 11:00 AM
  The glass installation on your convertible is very different than the closed cars because the glass is contained in stainless steel frames, as I am sure you know. Selecting the glass thickness and packing is critical to being able to reassemble the frames correctly. Take lots of photos of the assemblies as you begin the job to assist in getting it back together. I bought my seals from C&G. Unique pieces, such as for the rear quarter windows are shown in Section 48 of their catalog. www.cgfordparts.com

TomO    -- 01-25-2012 @ 7:23 AM
  rg130,

Some other differences are:

The vent window assembly in the closed cars is part of the door window molding. On the open cars, it is part of the door.

The stainless around the glass has to be removed to replace the glass.

Another good lubricant for the vent window rubber seal is liquid soap. I prefer the electrician's lube because it stays slippery longer, but it must be washed off with a good soap before installing the molding back in the car.

Dennis Carpenter does a good job of providing instructions with his kits. He even prints some of them in his catalog.

Tom

This message was edited by TomO on 1-25-12 @ 7:25 AM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=4256