Topic: 1953 Victoria frame bracing?

tgs40ford    -- 01-21-2012 @ 1:57 PM
  Does anyone know if the frame on a 1953 Victoria has any added frame bracing welded to the bottom flange? What did they do to the convertable to brace the frame in 53?
Tate

TomO    -- 01-25-2012 @ 8:13 AM
  The Victoria uses the box type frame used in all closed cars, while the convertible uses the X type frame.

As far as I can tell from the parts catalog, everything on the closed car frame is the same for all body styles, except for the no. 2 body mount. This is the same for the convertible and the Victoria.

Tom

tgs40ford    -- 01-25-2012 @ 8:32 PM
  Tom O, I'm looking at a 53 victoria that has been fully restored however during inspection i found that someone has welded a 1/4" flat plate on the bottom of the frame along the length of the center. It looks like it was done by a professional shop.The plate was formed around the frame rivets and i thought it might have been a factory brace for the Victoria. There is no evidence of any damage or rust out. Thanks for your information.

TomO    -- 01-26-2012 @ 7:07 AM
  Because I don't have a Victoria to look at, I can not say for sure that there was not a factory brace. I just looked at the parts catalog and did not see any differences other than the body mount.

Tom

Big Red 51    -- 01-26-2012 @ 4:22 PM
  Tate, My for sure stock '53 Victoria does not have any brace welded on. Has the standard box frame.
Don

tgs40ford    -- 01-26-2012 @ 7:20 PM
  Don,
Thanks very much. The car was so well done i had a question in my mind when i saw the plate welded to the bottom of the frame. There is no detectable rust on the body or frame. Strange that someone would do that. Someone had taken a lot of care to mold it around all ther frame rivets at the cross memebrs etc. I guess i'll have to pass on this one. Thanks again.
Tate

tgs40ford    -- 01-28-2012 @ 3:32 PM
  I was able to talk with the Alabama man who originally restored this car and he claims that the Victoria frames have this welded bracing. I wonder if there is any chance that some assembly plants my have done so to try to solve the door sagging problem? Both Tom and Don have pretty well confirmed what i thought however its hard to pass on such a nice car if there is any chance its correct. Your thoughts? Tate 941-650-9004

c-gor    -- 01-30-2012 @ 2:10 PM
  The 1952-53 Ford Victoria Frame was unique. Different than the convertible, 2dr, 4dr or wagon.

Send me your e-mail address and I will send you a drawing c-gor (c.gorris@prodigy.net)

Stroker    -- 01-30-2012 @ 3:50 PM
  tgs: I'm sure glad cgor gave you a "heads-up". The more I read about your "supposed modification" the more tempted I was to say: "hey, this sounds like a factory mod". When you
mentioned the dimples around the rivets, that should have triggered a "factory", rather than
subsequent owner modification. I didn't respond, because I don't know much about 53 Vic's, but
you may have stumbled upon an original.

tgs40ford    -- 01-30-2012 @ 7:46 PM
  I emailed the 52-53 tech adivsor over the weekend and he responded today to say that this is a factory frame for the Victoria. I wish to thank all of the fellow V8ers for your time to help me sort this out. I hope to put this car in my garage very soon. I spent a lot of time under my 53 when i was in High School but it was a 6 cyl 2 dr and i knew it didn't have this frame. This just looked too well done to not have been a factory job. Its great to have this kind of knowledge avaiable. Thanks again.
Tate tl63gab@msn.com

TomO    -- 01-31-2012 @ 4:39 PM
  I'm glad that Ray and Craig were able to answer your question correctly. I saw your question starting to scroll off of my 50 item list, so I gave it my best effort in order to start a discussion.

Enjoy your new purchase and be sure to bring it to a National Meet so the rest of us can enjoy looking at it.

Tom

tgs40ford    -- 01-31-2012 @ 5:17 PM
  Tom O,
I too am confused by the parts catolog as it does not show or refer to the plates on the lower frame rails. Its a good thing we have experianced guys out there who KNOW. Thanks for taking the time to help get things going.
Tate

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=4250