Topic: '37 windshield trim

40cpe    -- 01-19-2012 @ 8:25 AM
  Is the bright trim around a '37 windshield chrome or stainless? Did it change through '39?

Thanks,
Gene

supereal    -- 01-19-2012 @ 9:09 AM
  Almost without exception, Ford used "rustless steel" (stainless), as opposed to chrome plating, on trim pieces. Some larger parts, such as hood badges, were plated. The wisdom of this choice was proved, as trim on otherwise rusted away Fords, remains bright today. Genuine Ford stainless trim is heavy gauge, and very thick. It can be restored by pounding out dents, then filing and polishing. Much repro trim is flimsy, and of questionable quality, Drake being an exception.

juergen    -- 01-19-2012 @ 11:00 AM
  What do you mean by "trim"? The fold out windshield frame on a 37 Ford standard was painted while the Deluxe had the windshield chromed on the outside. As Supereal poined out, the little trim clips covering the break between the top and bottom of the windshield frames were stainless.

40cpe    -- 01-19-2012 @ 11:33 AM
  I'm talking about the bright exposed portion of the forward (outward) windshield frame around the gasket. The frame on my '38 club coupe is chrome plated and flaking/rust staining in places. A '37 frame is offered and the seller said it "looks like stainless" and I don't want to be taken by vague wording. I'm trying to improve mine and stainless would be a plus. Thanks for any clarity

cpipp01@aol.com    -- 01-19-2012 @ 11:36 AM
  The center exterior windshield trim piece on a deluxe was stainless steel also.

juergen    -- 01-19-2012 @ 12:03 PM
  The windshield frame surrounding the glass was never stainless. The best one could hope for is that the chrome looks as good as untarnished stainless.

All the 37, the 38 the 39 Ford closed car windshield frames are interchangeable. The 38-39 restoration book says that from January, 1938 on even the Standards were chrome. The split between the top and bottom of the frames was initially in the middle but was changed to be around 2/3 from the top around June 1938. So depending on your build date and need for authenticity, they should interchange.

This message was edited by juergen on 1-19-12 @ 12:04 PM

40cpe    -- 01-19-2012 @ 12:43 PM
  Thanks, Juergen. I have the book, but I guess I didn't look in the right place.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=4239