Topic: 1946-48 Ford Radio Installation?

239al    -- 01-15-2012 @ 2:37 PM
  I can't get the radio back into position on my '47 Ford. I can see the indention on top of the radio to clear the back of the speaker, but I can't get the radio in far enough so the speaker can fit into the indention.

I might have taken the radio out when I removed the dash (it's been a while), but I can't believe I have to pull the dash to get the radio back in. Do I have to lift the speaker out, then install the radio, then put the speaker back in? I need some advice. Thanks.

Al M.

Old Henry    -- 01-15-2012 @ 6:31 PM
  If you are trying to use any kind of a modern speaker it won't work. Believe me. I tried and learned by sad experience that only the original small magnet speaker will fit. Once I found one of those it fit fine. No problems.

See the illustration to see how little space there is.

Old Henry
(The older I get, the better old looks.)

bo8109b    -- 01-15-2012 @ 6:35 PM
  The speaker needs to be drawn up tight with the thumb screws to provide the necessary clearance for the radio. Vent handle position full forward. Radio tilted and centered on the dash opening. Swing up and forward into the opening. Unless you've replaced the speaker with one the back of which sticks out too far, you will succede with the installation.

Old Henry    -- 01-15-2012 @ 6:37 PM
  One other suggestion that I wish I had thought of and done while installing the speaker instead of "retrofitting" it afterward. That is that you will get better bass out of the speaker if you can somehow seal around the edge to prevent sound waves going around the edge of the speaker from the front to the back side. It did that after the fact by stuffing foam rubber gasket around the edge of the speaker between it and the speaker grill in the dashboard. If you can do that while installing the speaker and extend the gasket beyond the edge of the speaker to the edge of the grill all the better.

Old Henry
(The older I get, the better old looks.)

239al    -- 01-15-2012 @ 6:51 PM
  The radio and speaker are original Ford. They are the same same radio and speaker that were in the dash when I removed the dash from the car over a year ago.

I'll try to snug the speaker up some.

Al M.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=4229