Topic: 1941 Sedan Delivery

MDB    -- 01-14-2012 @ 4:18 PM
  Here's a new one for me, does anyone find interesting? E-Bay Item 320827107528 offered with 4 Cylinder engine.
Was this a factory option? Ford tractor engine? ect.??
Really peaks my inquisitive nature!

kubes40    -- 01-14-2012 @ 5:59 PM
  This vehicle has been offered for sale numerous times prior to this. What I found most interesting is how (and why) over $30k was spent on the "restoration"...

46fordnut    -- 01-14-2012 @ 7:13 PM
  how could i be restored if it looks like the head might be leaking and the only leaf spring showing is half painted. very poor ! catch 22 did he say bondo? who would use that to restore ? did not ford in those years only have a 6 or an 8? something fishy.

100 horse running wild

deuce_roadster    -- 01-14-2012 @ 7:38 PM
  Looks like a typical museum car. Maybe the 30k price includes buying the car from the museum! It probably does OK if you use AACA standards but certainly not the EFV8 club's.

carguy    -- 01-15-2012 @ 6:02 AM
  We own a restoration business and I can attest that it's not difficult at all to get $30 grand in a restoration.

I agree that this vehicle has issues but I, like MDB, am wondering if the 4 cylinder engine could be legit. I can't imagine that anyone would choose a 4 banger over a V-8 as late as 1940.

Bill Brown
'34 Cabriolet

41-42fordadvisor    -- 01-15-2012 @ 7:30 AM
  Ford did indeed offer a four cylinder engine as a option for the 1941 and 1942 light commercial vehicles . This engine was indeed the same four cylinder engine that was used in the Ford tractor. So this sedan delivery could have come from the Ford factory with this four cylinder engine. A few years ago I saw a 1941 Ford pick-up with a four cylinder engine at a National Early Ford V-8 Club meet.

supereal    -- 01-15-2012 @ 10:52 AM
  That engine for 41-41 shared many of the same parts as the Ford tractor 9N. The difference was mostly in the oil pan, as the tractor used the Ford practice of having the engine for the main structural part, with a heavy cast oil pan, while the truck version had a more conventional sheet metal pan. The idea was to provide an economical vehicle for short trip deliveries. Unfortunately, it shared the lack of power of the 9N, and couldn't get out of its own way. The later 8N and Jubilee tractors were a considerable improvement, but the engines never appeared again in trucks. I owned a Ford 9N tractor, and it could hardly pull itself. It is interesting that Ford is now importing a Turkish built truck, the "Transit", with a tiny engine for reasons of economy, a revival of the earlier concept.

wrosenkrans    -- 01-15-2012 @ 11:55 AM
  Several of the Ford prototype Jeep vehicles, before they standardized on the design for production by Willys and Ford, had the Ford 9n tractor engine in them. Shoehorning that into the Jeep engine bay was not a good thing - the forth spark plug and most of the back of the engine was virtually unreachable and impossible to work on, even to change the plug.

Wayne & Barb
'42 Super De Luxe Tudor

jims33    -- 01-15-2012 @ 5:32 PM
  I've messed around with 9N's some and never thought they were particularly short on power. I had one years ago and remember pulling stuff with the 3 point bar (I know you're not supposed to do that). It would pull so hard the front wheels would come 3 feet in the air. It seemed like I couldn't kill it. I worked on one this spring for a friend and got it running, it sure seemed like it had plenty of pulling power to me. Not compared to a modern diesel I suppose, but still pretty good. The 8N was a nicer tractor though. I use a 600 Ford for plowing snow now, and I don't think it could pull as hard as a good 9N.

alanwoodieman    -- 01-15-2012 @ 7:15 PM
  National meet in Atlanta, red truck with a 4 cylinder, I have a couple of pictures. Strangest thing I ever say-had a 4:44 rear axle. Used to build tractor engines, 8N, 9N ,2N, easy to work on ran forever and would pull just about anything put behind them, geared very low, would pull but not fast!!

supereal    -- 01-16-2012 @ 7:48 AM
  Actually, the four cylinder trucks used a 4:55 rear gearing, The 4:44 was for the 60HP vehicles beginning in 1937. I don't doubt that there are 9N fans out there, as many of those old machines survive today. The brake pedals were on the same side as the clutch, making operation tricky if you got stuck, and the internal pin linking the three point hitch had a nasty habit of breaking. My 9N had a loader, but was designed to only lift, instead of pushing both up and down, so you couldn't dig with it or plow show easily. I traded mine on a Ford 3000 gas tractor, which was an improvement, but my current Ford diesel tractor is the best of all, if you remember to use your ear plugs. It is very loud, and can make your head ache for days. The four banger was a derivitive of Henry's cherished Model A, and sounded just like one. Those looking for increased power adapted the early tractors to a V8.

TomO    -- 01-16-2012 @ 10:45 AM
  I have trouble believing that the dash is original. It has the early 1940 dash painted in 1940 Deluxe colors. IMHO the 41 would have had the later 40 dash or the commercial dash.

Tom

46fordnut    -- 01-16-2012 @ 12:56 PM
  found another truck on e bay needs work but it is all there ether 41 or 40.. it has a v8 . e bay number 140680059500

100 horse running wild

deluxe40    -- 01-16-2012 @ 4:40 PM
  I believe the '41 Sedan Delivery came with an all-wood-grained dash. Also, the instrument cluster was like a '40 Standard, but had the colors reversed (brown numbers on yellow background). I don't think the '41 delivery had the horizontal chrome trim pieces like the '40 Deluxe cars. I have always wondered if the '41 delivery was responsible for the glove box doors that have provision for a clock, but do not have the chrome trim pieces. Does anyone have documentation (or an original '41 Sedan Delivery)?

MDB    -- 01-18-2012 @ 1:52 PM
  Thanks to all Early Ford V/8'rs for your response, I'm a bit overwhelmed. To me this reflects on who we are in willingness of the seasoned veterans to impart the knowledge and experience of years to some more recent but less informed. Secondly, although I had no desire to acquire the Sedan Delivery, but keen interest in deviation from or confirming authenticity. I was very impressed with desire of members apparent attempt to protect the presumed possible investment of a less savy potential buyer. Besides it was a fun read!

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=4223