Topic: Shipping 40 merc rear end

kem.jones    -- 01-13-2012 @ 8:21 PM
  Help I am looking at buying a 40 Merc rear end . It is locacated in central
California and I want to get it to south Texas It isa complete unit in one piece . Thanks Kem

supereal    -- 01-13-2012 @ 8:41 PM
  You will have to separate the torque tube from the axle, as well as well as the radius rods, and have them crated for shipping. Last year I shipped a torque tube across the country using the cardboard tube from the center of a carpet roll. I used UPS, but the whole rear end will have to go by motor freight (truck) due to the size and weight.

TomO    -- 01-14-2012 @ 9:04 AM
  The 40 Merc rear end has the pinion gear press fitted onto the drive shaft, so it will be better to ship it in one piece. If it has to be disassembled, leave the torque tube attached to the banjo housing and split off the axle housings.

Tom

supereal    -- 01-14-2012 @ 10:11 AM
  Be sure to check with the shipping companies. The entire intact assembly will likely require an oversize charge, if it is accepted at all. If you pull the banjo apart, the ring gear and axles will have to be packed separately. Your best bet may be to contact an auto shipper and keep the rear end all together. It will save you from having to reassemble the unit and spend time getting the gaskets chosen to allow the correct pinion lash. I'm sure Tom is right about the drive shaft if the rear end is, in fact, correct. The Ford shafts have a coupler at the pinion, and can be s separated by driving out a pin. If you are not familiar with the seller, it may be a good idea to have someone look at the rear end before you buy. Look in your club roster for a member in that area. Most of us are happy to help. Long distance buying is always tricky. As this deal could be expensive to ship, you need to be sure it is worth it.

kem.jones    -- 01-14-2012 @ 10:51 AM
  It is a columbia rear end . Any ideas on a company to Contact?
I hava a 39 Merc convertible
Thanks Kem

supereal    -- 01-15-2012 @ 11:05 AM
  Get a copy of OLD CARS WEEKLY. They usually have a list of transporters. Also, try online. As Columbia axles have been commanding a steep price, I'd be sure that it is insured before you have it carried. Good Columbias are very hard to find, at least out here in the midwest. I looked for a long time for one for my '47, and only came up with overpriced junk, and some with no controls. I've hauled fully assembled rear ends in my pickup by standing the torque tube up, blocking the housing, and strapping it to each corner of the bed. I have also transported such big pieces by renting a U-Haul car trailer. If you don't come up with a suitable transport, you might consider a road trip using a one way rental. It may be less expensive that hiring the job.

kem.jones    -- 01-15-2012 @ 6:12 PM
  This is a complete unit set up for a 39 -40 merc on a 116 wheel base .It has been overhauled and comes with all controls and instructions. I am travelling with a Roadtreck van and a car float. If push comes to shove I will pick it up myself . I will look for a copy of Old Autos paper as well .
Kem

239al    -- 01-18-2012 @ 7:52 AM
  Have you thought of meeting the seller half way? An overnight stay might be worth the cost.
Al M.

kem.jones    -- 01-19-2012 @ 6:46 PM
  After verbally agreeing to the deal it got sold to someone else. So thats the way the mop flops. I will keep looking Kem

kem.jones    -- 01-19-2012 @ 6:47 PM
  After verbally agreeing to the deal it got sold to someone else. So thats the way the mop flops. I will keep looking Kem

kem.jones    -- 01-19-2012 @ 6:48 PM

kem.jones    -- 01-19-2012 @ 6:48 PM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=4220