Topic: 42-48 Distributor

zeker8    -- 12-08-2009 @ 5:07 PM
  Is there some publication that covers rebuilding the 42-48 distributor. I see there are some (4) back copies of the V8 Times covering distributors in 2003 but it doesn't say what it covers. Thanks Zeke

supereal    -- 12-09-2009 @ 6:33 AM
  Except for the cap and rotor , the '42 distributor is the same as the '46-'48. There are lots of "how to" books. Check www.cgfortparts.com and look at section 2 of their online catalog.

supereal    -- 12-09-2009 @ 6:34 AM
  Oops, that should be www.cgfordparts.com I guess the cold is affecting my typing fingers today.

TomO    -- 12-09-2009 @ 7:20 AM
  The Ford Service Bulletins and the Ford Mercury Shop manual from 1939-1948 reprint, cover the distributor. They mainly discuss the theory of the distributor and replacing points.

Unless you have a distributor machine, I would not try to rebuild the distributor at home. The machine will allow the operator to check the advance mechanism, set the correct dwell and timing and adjust the vacuum brake. It will also allow the operator to check for dwell variance due to worn bushings or weak point springs. A good rebuilt from a reliable supplier should last more than 15,000 miles.

Tom

supereal    -- 12-09-2009 @ 1:54 PM
  I agree with TomO. But if you are simply replacing points, you should be able to do it with just a feeler gauge. A "rebuild" is a different matter. More often than not, we find excess wear on the distributor shaft that prevents fitting it to new bushings, which is almost always required. We can sometimes save the shaft by carefully honing the bushings on our piston pin machine. The unworn portion will be a tight fit, but the worn part, if not too bad, will often supply a nearly correct clearance when in place. In any case, new bushings will require honing, something that takes equipment not normally available to the hobbyist. I've seen a good many sloppy distributors that ran OK. They are a very durable apparatus.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=422