Topic: Rivets or bolts

rducharme    -- 01-13-2012 @ 4:10 PM
  I am still working on the frame for my frame up restoration of a 35 Tudor Deluxe. I see on the front cross member that bolts are currently used. Is that correct or should the enclosed picture really have 3 rivets on the top and on the corner brace 2 rivets. I see the corner brace attachment to the main frame is a rivet.

Thoughts?

Robert Ducharme

trjford8    -- 01-13-2012 @ 6:50 PM
  The crossmember is riveted to the frame. If it is bolted someone probably changed it due to damage to the original. Usually the center of the crossmember cracked out near the spring center bolt.

rducharme    -- 01-13-2012 @ 7:16 PM
  Thank you. That makes sense and I will replace them. Are they 1/4 inch or 5/16 inch rivets?

On the corner bracket, you can see a single bolt and a hole where it attaches to the cross member. The other end of the corner bracket is riveted. Should there be 2 rivets where it attaches to the cross bracket? The corner brackets are parts 5073 and 5074.

Robert Ducharme

rducharme    -- 01-13-2012 @ 8:03 PM
  More information. The corner brackets are the radiator support brackets left hand and right hand. In the Green book, under the 91A 5074-A, is a part number 22266-S2 Bolt (radiator support to frame) 3/8" - 24 x 1 3/4" Two required. Is that one for the 5073 and one for the 5074?

Does that indicate that it really is not riveted and a bolt should exist there? But why would it be 1 3/4" long since the thickness it is going through is only 1/4"? I am guessing this is a bolt up to the radiator and should be in that hole without a bolt.

trjford8    -- 01-14-2012 @ 7:55 AM
  Those brackets rivet to the frame siderails and to the crossmember at the front corners. The large hole at the front is for the radiator mount. The rivets should be 5/16. Check with "Big Flats Rivet Company". The 1 3/4 bolts listed in the parts book are the radiator mount bolts. You can buy the radiator mount kit(bolts, nuts, rubber pads and springs) from most V-8 parts suppliers.

This message was edited by trjford8 on 1-14-12 @ 8:00 AM

rducharme    -- 01-14-2012 @ 8:45 AM
  Thank you.

From your comments, my understanding is the corner (radiator) bracket has 1 5/16 rivet on the frame at the front, and 2 5/16 rivets on the cross brace (the drawing above shows only 1 of the 2 holes having a connector and it is a bolt instead of a rivet). Both the holes on the cross brace should be filled with rivets. Of course, the 3 bolts at the frame to cross brace should be rivets (probably 5/16 or 3/8). The larger hole in front of the bolt on the cross brace is the radiator mounting hole.

Do you know anyone who has a picture of the frame with the specification of what rivet/bolt (size/length) goes in each hole?

trjford8    -- 01-15-2012 @ 7:52 AM
  The larger hole in front of the rivet is for a bolt. The bolt secures a bracket that goes from the frame to the inner fender bracket. You might contact Dave Maher at Precision Coachworks. He makes a lot of repair pieces for frames and possibly has a diagram that can help you.The website is; www.precisioncoachworks.com.

This message was edited by trjford8 on 1-15-12 @ 7:56 AM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=4216