Topic: brake pedal spring

jims33    -- 01-11-2012 @ 5:24 PM
  On a 33 Ford is there supposed to be a spring to return the brake pedal, besides the one in the crosshaft? That one doesn't bring the pedal back if the emergency brake is applied, which means the brake light stays on. If there is supposed to be a spring, what does it hook to? Is the pin on the brake pedal clevis supposed to be one of those long ones with a grove for a spring? My car has been apart too many times to be sure what went where. Thanks for any info.
Jim S.

deluxe40    -- 01-11-2012 @ 7:52 PM
  The Green Book shows part # 40-2456 as a "Spring (brake pedal retracting) - 2.40" long - for pass. 33-35. The picture shows it attached to the very top of the brake pedal lever at the point it is attached to the rod going to the cross shaft. Part B-7533 is a "Pin (brake pedal) with grooved head 1 7/16" long." Looks like you are on the right track.

jims33    -- 01-12-2012 @ 5:54 AM
  Thanks - I got clutch spring 78-7523 from Mac's, I don't think they have the 40-2456 spring. They were out of the grooved pins so I made them for the brake and clutch pedals. I don't see a place for the back side of the springs to hook to.
It sounds like I need one of those Green Books - are they available?

40 Coupe    -- 01-12-2012 @ 7:51 AM
  There is a small hole in the front of the crossmember for the spring, it is 2" to the outside of the hole for the clutch pedal return spring, with the larger hole for the brake rod in the center of the two. Yes the clevis pin has the special head for the spring. Roy Nacewicz has both the springs and the pins, that work.

jims33    -- 01-12-2012 @ 8:39 AM
  Sure enough, I see that hole now. I needed to take my glasses off - darn bifocals! Thanks

deluxe40    -- 01-12-2012 @ 9:55 AM
  "Green Book" is short for the "Ford Chassis Parts and Accessories Catalogue - for passenger cars 1928 thru 1948 & trucks 1928 thru 1947". It is available in the C&G catalogue, but you can also find them at swap meets and online.

jims33    -- 01-12-2012 @ 1:34 PM
  I had never heard of Roy N., but found his site and called him. He is a real good guy - thanks for the tip. I ordered the springs and pins for the clutch and brake pedals, and he is sending me a catalog. The Green Book is something I'll have to look for at Iola.
Jim S.

TomO    -- 01-13-2012 @ 8:09 AM
  The Green book is available from most vendors like C & G. as it is a reprint.

If you are building a Concourse Correct car, be aware that the parts in that book are the latest replacement parts Ford made in the 1950's and may not be correct for your car

Tom

3w2    -- 01-14-2012 @ 8:43 PM
  The so-called "Green" book can be very misleading for someone working on a Ford product from the '30s. It is a chassis parts catalogue supposedly covering 1928 to 1948 vehicles, but it only includes parts that Ford was still carrying in its inventory for service as of 1948. In many cases, later-issue parts are functional substitutes for those used originally.

In your specific case, the gap is 15 years and that means that the service part coverage still available from Ford was severly limited and therefore so is the information about '33s in that catalogue. A better bet for "what went where" would be a reprint of the illustrated parts catalogue closest to your model year, which in this case would be the '34 catalogue, which covered the years 1928-1934.

Some go so far as referring to the Green book (it had a green cover) as the "Bible" and while is is no doubt great for post-WW2 Fords, it is increasingly less informative the further back in time you go. Some Bible!

Your best bets are always catalogues or literature of the same vintage as your vehicle or as close to it as possible (as no one has reproduced the '33 catalogues, only the service bulletins).

jims33    -- 01-20-2012 @ 3:29 PM
  I got the springs and pins from Roy N. a few days ago, and this afternoon I got around to putting them in. It sure is a pleasure having parts that are right! I'm sure the original springs broke a long time ago so I didn't know what it should look like - now I do! If someone is doing this - a tip - do the clutch one first. The heads of the pins both face towards the inside of the car.
Thanks for steering me towards him, this hobby needs suppliers that know their stuff and provide good parts. I have bought plenty of old car parts over the years (old Fords and not quite as old Volvos) and have seen my share of parts that don't fit or are just plain wrong.
Jim S.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=4208