Topic: brake pedal

46fordnut    -- 01-10-2012 @ 6:02 PM
  if i let my car sit for say one month pedal gets low. move it a few times much better. don't have any leaks.. could it just have some air in the system. did bleed it but on my back with out someone working the pedal. i would pump it then open bleeder then close when it stopped leaking out.

100 horse running wild

alanwoodieman    -- 01-10-2012 @ 6:43 PM
  you need a bleeder bottle or someone to help you. when you pump up the brakes air moves to the end, with out them being held (pump up and hold) in this position the air is not being expelled. You need a helper or a bleeder bottle

46fordnut    -- 01-10-2012 @ 7:04 PM
  OK once the temp over here gets above 25 ill do it with a helper

100 horse running wild

supereal    -- 01-10-2012 @ 7:06 PM
  If you don't fix the problem with a thorough bleeding, it is likely that the residual valve in the master cylinder isn't holding. Replacement of the master is the cure, I'm assuming you are not using silicone fluid. That creates problems with air entraining that seldom allows a firm brake pedal.

46fordnut    -- 01-11-2012 @ 5:29 AM
  regular dot 3.. master was brand new . not rebuilt in 2005. i would hope its just air not defective parts.

100 horse running wild

Old Henry    -- 01-11-2012 @ 8:06 AM
  When you say "move it a few times much better" that sounds more like just needing to adjust the brake shoes up tighter, not a symptom of air in the lines. The symptom of air in the lines is a "spongy" pedal, meaning that when you push the pedal down and it gets to where it seems like it should be tight instead it's kind of springy or mushy and you can sort of bounce on the pedal. That problem doesn't improve with "pumping" the pedal. Improvement with pumping the brake pedal indicates needing to adjust the shoes. I'd try that if that's the symptom.

Old Henry
(The older I get, the better old looks.)

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=4202