Topic: 38-Cleaning & replacing rear axle oil

john38coupe    -- 01-05-2012 @ 6:23 PM
  Having removed the rear axle and torque tube (left attached) for sand blasting & paint, I am wondering if its is necessary to clean/rinse the rear axle with anything before I replace with new oil? And, what oil is recommended? Its a V-60, 4.44 rear end.

supereal    -- 01-05-2012 @ 7:11 PM
  If you believe that sand entered the torque tube and/or the rear axle during blasting, which is likely, use kerosene as a solvent to rinse the grit away. It is generally available as stove fuel. Any good grade of 80/90 gear oil will be fine, or 140 weight, if available. Be sure to clean the roller bearing at the front of the torque tube with the solvent, and coat it with grease before reinstalling with a new seal. If your torque tube has a grease fitting in the middle, grease it, too, to lube the center bearing. As for the fuse block, there is no practical way to straighten the base. We usually attach the fuse clips to a new base made of plastic or hard rubber.

john38coupe    -- 01-05-2012 @ 7:32 PM
  I took extrodinary measures to avoid sand from entering unit so I'm not concerned there. Just wondering if a rinse of the gears in the bell would be recommended before new oil? Secondly, can you disassemble the parts from my original fuse block and reinstall on a new purchased block? (Like the 4 brass screws that hold the resistor and fuse? Thanks for your other advise on lubrication!!

john38coupe    -- 01-05-2012 @ 7:57 PM
  Is the roller bearing in the front of the torque tube visible? I don't have the trany attached yet and I'm looking at the end of the drive shaft sticking out of the torque tube...I see the speedometer gears but that is all.

trjford8    -- 01-05-2012 @ 8:50 PM
  The roller bearing is past the speedo gear. I don't think there is a need to clean out(rinse) the rear gears. Drain the old fluid and replace with new.I'm making the assumption that the rear made no noise before you took it out to clean it up.

john38coupe    -- 01-06-2012 @ 6:02 PM
  Thanks, the rear end made no noise when last driven so I'll just replace the fluid. I see C&G sells a fuse block with a NOS ceramic resistor for $20. which is probably my best bet yet in replacing the original.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=4188