Topic: Fuel Pump Kit's

doning    -- 01-03-2012 @ 3:02 AM
  Happy New Year!

Does anyone know if all the new fuel pump kits are ethanol proof? I've got a 7 year old fuel pump on my car and I want to replace the insides with new seals, etc. I can make the change without removing the fuel pump, correct? Thanks. Don

40 Coupe    -- 01-03-2012 @ 5:48 AM
  You can not fully inspect the fuel pump for damage when it is on the car. The spring loaded rocker (input) shaft on the steel pivot pin can have some very minor side play. Any excessive play in this area will decrease diaphragm stroke and pump output. Just remove the two mounting bolts and the pump will lift up and out.

supereal    -- 01-03-2012 @ 9:45 AM
  Most fuel pump rebuild kits sold by major vendors are alcohol resistant. That may not be true of individual sellers who don't have sufficient stock turnover. In many cases, the cost of a replacement pump is not much more than that of a good kit, and saves a lot of work. A complete kit replaces all but the body of the pump. Unless you have a unique pump, it is usually a better approach. We buy ours from C&G (800/266-0470).

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 01-05-2012 @ 4:55 PM
  doning
THEN and NOW in MASS,also have the correct fuel and carb kits for modern fuels, and also will rebuild and test yours,
this is also a good option, so you can keep your car more original, then adding repro parts from foreign lands,
you can rebuild or let them do it,
hope this helps 37RAGTOPMAN

51f1    -- 01-07-2012 @ 6:24 AM
  I just got a new fuel/vacuum pump for my '51 truck from NAPA for $68. A repair kit costs $50. Except for the screws, the pump looks the same as the original.

Richard

46fordnut    -- 01-07-2012 @ 7:04 PM
  i was going to rebuild mine but advanced had a new one for 46 dollars kit was 53.

100 horse running wild

doning    -- 01-09-2012 @ 2:26 AM
  Thanks RAGTOP. I am working with them now.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 01-09-2012 @ 5:23 PM
  Doning
I enclosed a picture of the kit,,from Then and Now
comes complete with very good instructions,
if you rebuild it yourself,you get a sense of satisfaction of doing it yourself and a gaining KNOWLEDGE of the auto repairs..and you are keeping your V8 FORD Original,
these kits are Made in U.S.A.and covers a few years,
GOOD LUCK !!!
hope this helps,37RAGTOPMAN

This message was edited by 37RAGTOPMAN on 1-9-12 @ 5:25 PM

doning    -- 01-10-2012 @ 7:10 AM
  Something I can rebuild with the fuel pump in the car? The pump is 7 years old but only has 150 miles on it.

TomO    -- 01-10-2012 @ 7:29 AM
  Don
If your fuel pump was made 7 years ago, it already has alcohol resistant parts in it. It also is not an original fuel pump, so if it is failing, I would replace it.

You cannot replace the diaphragm on a fuel pump while the pump is on the car. To replace the diaphragm, you must unhook the operating lever from the diaphragm. To do this you must remove the pivot pin from the operating arm. You must have the pump off of the car to get access to these parts.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=4178