Topic: Steering wheel removal

terryp    -- 12-28-2011 @ 8:16 PM
  OK, I do not happen to own the official KR Wilson 1935 Ford steering wheel removal tool. How can I remove the wheel without damage? Thanks! Terry P. 35 coupe.

flatheadfan    -- 12-30-2011 @ 6:52 AM
  Terry-

I also have a '35 so I understand your predicament! There are several ways to pull the wheel. The safest way is with a puller. The particular one I use is a puller made exclusively for old Fords by Brattons (the Model A people). I believe I paid about $40 for it. Note the picture below.

Another technique used by others is a Large bearing separator. Harbor Freight has them for about $30.

I suppose others have there favorites.

Hope this helps.

Tom

JM    -- 12-30-2011 @ 12:32 PM
  Sometimes those SW's will come off easily by removing the nut and pushing up on the bottom of the wheel with your knees while sitting in the drivers seat. However, sometimes they are so tight that only a good puller will get them off. After once breaking a large piece out of a nice '35 wheel trying every way I could think of to get that wheel off, I made my own puller that has yet to find a wheel it can't remove. I have posted pictures of it several times on Fordbarn and even once mailed it to someone to remove their wheel. I'm posting this from my smart phone with no access to my computer files to attach those pictures here. You could send me a private message with your email address if you would like to see the puller I made.

Yes, Ragtopman is correct. Do not completely remove that nut. Just loosen it enough to allow the wheel to come up off the taper on the shaft but not completely off the end of the shaft. If the wheel pops off the end of the shaft, you could wind up with a smashed nose or worse. It's best to be safe.
JM

This message was edited by JM on 12-30-11 @ 8:34 PM

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 12-30-2011 @ 5:37 PM
  after you get the light switch out,
loosen and back off the nut [ do not remove it completely ] and soak with PB BLASTER.let it soak for a few days.
using your knees need push up on the bottom of the wheel , also use a ball pean hammer, using the ball end down on the shaft in the hole, lightly tap with another hammer and push up with your knees,
this worked for me, soaking it well,also helps,
if it does not work, might have to go to plan "B"
and use a puller,
hope this helps 37RAGTOPMAN

terryp    -- 04-02-2013 @ 9:58 AM
  Thanks to everyone for the wheel removal tips! The 35 is just about road ready so thought I would tell everyone how I got the steering wheel off. After removing the light rod, I drilled and tapped two holes in the steering wheel hub. Then used a conventional steering wheel puller and voila! it worked and left a handy way to remove in the future when I am rich and famous and want to install a banjo wheel. TerryP

supereal    -- 04-02-2013 @ 2:04 PM
  The threads on the end of the shaft that hold the wheel in place are very fragile. Thus the advice to keep the nut in place when "persuading" the removal. If you damage the threads or swedge the end of the shaft, replacement is a tedious and expensive job. Before trying to remove the wheel, if it doesn't pull off easily, buy or borrow a puller.

terryp    -- 04-11-2013 @ 9:40 AM
  Good point on the threads. If I recall i did have the nut in place (loose) and placed a bolt into the steering rod to push on the bolt head, not the threads.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=4159