Topic: 1946 Ford Business Coupe

slyck14    -- 12-23-2011 @ 11:30 PM
  I am new to the hobby and to the EFV8 Club. I just purchased a '46 Ford Business Coupe and am trying to find a way to determine where in the production range (early, mid or late) it falls by serial number. I am the third owner, as far as I can determine, and the car is un-molested original with 51,000 miles. Can anyone point me in a direction to become just a bit more knowledgable?

ford38v8    -- 12-24-2011 @ 12:14 AM
  Slyck, Welcome to the Club, and to the Forum. I'd also encourtage you to join a Regional Group. I believe the closest RG to your Fort Worth location would be the Dallas RG # 115.

In answer to your question, the range of serial numbers for Ford in '46 ran in two series, one for the Ford V8, the other for the Ford 6.
V8: 99A-650280 - 99A-1412709
6: 1GA-227524 - 1GA-326417

Got to the Club's online bookstore and check out the books available, particularly the 1941 - '48 Ford Book. The Club's books, written by our Members, are the most comprehensive reference books you'll find about our cars. Pictures, part numbers, timelines, these books have the answers you're looking for.

Alan

slyck14    -- 12-24-2011 @ 11:50 AM
  Alan,

Merry Christmas and thanks for the guidance...I am new to this hobby. I have been in Corvettes for the last 20 years or so.

I had an item on my bucket list to drive Route 66. In 2012, I will be 66, and want to do it in a 66 year old car! Since my folks brought me back from the hospital after I was born in a '46 Business Coupe, that is the car I wanted for the adventure!!! I was really fortunate to find a beauty that is all original, never restored, with only 51,000 miles. I will put different wheels and radial tires for the trip, but plan to keep as much originality as possible.

By the way, with the info you provided on the V8 production run, I have an early car, 54,437th produced out of 762,429 total. Now I want to find out what the manufacturing date was and figure out where I am in the production of Business Coupes. I am definately gonna get that '41-'48 book you recommended!!!

Have a great Holiday!

Joe

Joe Syslo
Fort Worth, Texas
1946 Ford Business Coupe

trjford8    -- 12-24-2011 @ 5:41 PM
  Joe, if you have a very early 46 it should have a tool tray in the trunk.Since you are new to the hobby you might consider driving up to Branson, Missouri in August to attend the Central National Meet of the Early Fords V-8 Club. You can see parts of old 66 on your way there.There will be lots of people there who would want to see your original car. If you enter the car in the "Rouge"(original)division you may qualify for a trophy.Welcome to the V-8 Club.

Old Henry    -- 12-25-2011 @ 8:24 PM
  My wife and I fulfilled that same dream that we had a year and a half ago when we drove the longest continuous section of the original Route 66 in our '47 Ford Fordor - 160 miles from Seligman, Arizona (inspiration for "Radiator Springs" in the movie "Cars") to Topock, Arizona via the very historic and nostalgic mountain town of Oatman where the wild burros still roam the streets. What a ride and great trip. You'll love it. Congratulations on setting the goal and working to achieve it. I tried to attach a few photos of the old road to whet your wistle but could only figure out how to attach one. It is a famous photo of Seligman, AZ in 1947. If you zoom in I think you'll see possibly your '46 or an earlier 40's Ford facing away from the camera on the left side of the highway with a swamp cooler hanging on the window.

Old Henry
(The older I get, the better old looks.)

This message was edited by Old Henry on 12-29-11 @ 9:45 PM

Old Henry    -- 12-25-2011 @ 8:41 PM
  A closer shot of Seligman to see the 40's Ford on the left.

Old Henry

This message was edited by Old Henry on 12-28-11 @ 1:19 PM

Old Henry    -- 12-26-2011 @ 1:29 PM
  The same spot in Seligman with "Old Henry" on the left in April 2010.

Old Henry

Old Henry    -- 12-26-2011 @ 1:30 PM
  Headed up the mountain to Oatman. Nice scenery.

Old Henry

Old Henry    -- 12-26-2011 @ 1:31 PM
  The road is a bit rough here.

Old Henry

This message was edited by Old Henry on 12-26-11 @ 1:37 PM

Old Henry    -- 12-26-2011 @ 1:32 PM
  Made it to the top.

Old Henry

Old Henry    -- 12-26-2011 @ 1:38 PM
  Gold Road in 1947.

Old Henry

Old Henry    -- 12-26-2011 @ 1:40 PM
  Picture I took of Gold Road in April 2010. Not much had changed.

Old Henry

tbloss    -- 12-26-2011 @ 4:18 PM
  Hi Joe: I think you have an early car also, and you have been given some good advice from other members post. The starting frame # for the 46 Ford is 650280 and the ending # for the 46 production is 1,412,707. If your car has an orginal transmission that frame # will be stamped on the top. You can move the front floor mat, take off the inspection plate and see if those #'s match.Ford started production of the 46 Fords in July of 1945. The early cars will have tool boxes at the rear of the trunk under the floor mat. These are 1942 bodies that Ford had in some warehouse and when the 42 bodies were used up,Ford no longer used the tool boxes for 1946 cars

So take your frame number and for example say it is 770,594 less starting frame number 650,280 so your car would be the 120,314 car produced, out of the total production of 1,412,707. But with Henry, its not quite that easy. Look at the back side of your spedo, your clock if you have one and the window bugs on your glass. The Clubs 41-48 book will answer a lot of these questions for you.

I have an early 46 bus cp and will be glad to help in anyway I can with your car. As someone has said,you might drive the car as is. Learn as much as you can about the Deluxe model before you change anything. You can Email or call me anytime and I will be glad to help. Good luck with your car and welcome to The Early V-8 Club..Tom bloss@grnco.net

Tblossom

slyck14    -- 12-28-2011 @ 12:01 AM
  I went over the exact road, to include the "Gold Road" this past October, but I did it in my truck. It was absolutely awesome to see 'Old Henry' on the road. I am envious!!! How long did you spend on the trip? Did you go the entire length? I'll bet 'Old Henry' was a huge hit!!! I'd love to hear more about the trip.

Joe Syslo
Fort Worth, Texas
1946 Ford Business Coupe

Old Henry    -- 12-28-2011 @ 9:12 AM
  At Joe's request and for anyone else interested here is some more of the story of our Route 66 run in April 2010.

We started from home in Orem Utah committed to take old back roads only - no freeways - as much as possible so took old highway 89 south through Utah. Stopped at Big Rock Candy Mountain pictured here. (Story to continue with subsequent posts since can only post one picture at a time.)

Old Henry

This message was edited by Old Henry on 12-29-11 @ 5:02 PM

Old Henry    -- 12-28-2011 @ 9:15 AM
  After staying in Kanabe Utah that night we carried on down 89 toward Page Arizona but did not go to Page. Instead we took the real old highwy 89 and crossed the Colorado River on the old Navajo bridge which was the only way to cross the river before they built Glen Canyon Dam and that bridge in the 60's. As we got to lower elevations the engine began to ping with premature detonation because of the denser air so I stopped and retarded the timing a little to compensate.

Old Henry

This message was edited by Old Henry on 12-28-11 @ 12:21 PM

Old Henry    -- 12-28-2011 @ 9:21 AM
  At Cameron Arizona we left 89 and headed west on old 64 to the south rim of the Grand Canyon.

Old Henry

This message was edited by Old Henry on 12-28-11 @ 9:31 AM

Old Henry    -- 12-28-2011 @ 9:30 AM
  After taking a peek at the canyon we turned south continuing on 64 until we got to Williams Arizona where we hit I-40 to go west toward Seligman. It was at Williams that we hit the first stretch of old Route 66 that still goes through Williams. Just west of Williams route 66 ended and we had to take I-40 to Ash Fork where we left the freeway for another short stretch of Route 66 through that little town. (It is my understanding that for most of what's left of Route 66 across the country it is very short segments such as these leaving the freeway through little side towns. Not something we were interested in. We wanted the experience of a full long stretch. This one we drove in Arizona is the longest.)

Just west of Ash Fork the old highway, again, turned onto the freeway that we took until just before Seligman where we left it for the next 24 hours.

We arrived in Seligman after dark and enjoyed the neon of the old town and stayed in the oldest motel there. Very quaint.

Old Henry

Old Henry    -- 12-28-2011 @ 9:36 AM
  At the cafe where we ate there in Seligman the old proprietor, who had grown up in Seligman, had this picture on the wall of a '47 Ford like ours on a street of Seligman at the time he was a kid. He told us about the two boys in the picture and what happened to them. The white boy was still living nearby but the black boy had got drunk when a teenager, laid on the railroad track and was killed by a train. Kind of morbid story but cool to see a picture of a car just like ours.

Old Henry

Old Henry    -- 12-28-2011 @ 9:41 AM
  Heading west on old Route 66 just before Kingman I glanced at the battery gauge and noticed the generator wasn't charging so stopped to see if I could fix it. I couldn't tell what was wrong and thought maybe it was the regulator so I just started shorting and jumping wires between the generator and regulator until I got the generator charging. Of course, doing that I bypassed the regulator and the generator just charged full blast full time. I had to control the voltage to the battery by turning on and off various uses of electricity and watch the battery gauge depending on our speed. First parking lights, then headlights, then spot light, then radio, then heater fan, etc.

Old Henry

Old Henry    -- 12-28-2011 @ 9:47 AM
  From Kingman we continued west on old Route 66 that became Gold Road up to the old mining town of Oatman. Here's one more shot showing the current condition of the road just before Oatman.

Old Henry

Old Henry    -- 12-28-2011 @ 9:48 AM
  The story of Oatman

Old Henry

Old Henry    -- 12-28-2011 @ 9:51 AM
  Wild burros roaming the street of Oatman. (Old Henry in the background.)

Old Henry

Old Henry    -- 12-28-2011 @ 9:52 AM
  This stretch of old Route 66 is very popular with motorcycles.

Old Henry

Old Henry    -- 12-28-2011 @ 9:56 AM
  Continuing west on Route 66 we eventually reached Topock Arizona on the Colorado River and the end of the longest remaining stretch of the old highway. By then it was really hot. This reading of the thermometer shows under 100 but shortly after that it read 108 degrees.

Old Henry

This message was edited by Old Henry on 12-28-11 @ 9:57 AM

Old Henry    -- 12-28-2011 @ 10:03 AM
  To continue west from Topock we had to get on I-40 and cross the Colorado River into California until we could leave the freeway onto old highway 95 to head north toward Las Vegas. This photo is at sunset on old highway 95 just before arriving in Boulder City Nevada where we stayed for the night.

Old Henry

Old Henry    -- 12-28-2011 @ 10:14 AM
  The next morning we went over to see Boulder Dam and the fantastic amazing new bridge that was under construction (since completed) then took the scenic road north along Lake Mead and continued on back roads until we crossed I-15 and got on old highway 93, called "The Great Basin Highway," to go north along the border of Nevada and Utah until we got to Pioche Nevada where we stayed that night in the quaint old Overland Hotel and Saloon.

Old Henry

Old Henry    -- 12-28-2011 @ 10:18 AM
  The next morning there was snow on the ground and it was below 32 degrees. Quite a contrast from the 100+ degrees just two days before. We ate breakfast at the historic Silver Cafe across the street from our hotel.

Old Henry

This message was edited by Old Henry on 12-28-11 @ 10:22 AM

Old Henry    -- 12-28-2011 @ 10:20 AM
  It's the only place I've ever seen star shaped pancakes.

Old Henry

Old Henry    -- 12-28-2011 @ 10:24 AM
  There was a great old Ford garage there in Pioche.

Old Henry

Old Henry    -- 12-28-2011 @ 10:31 AM
  Shortly after leaving Pioche to head for home the generator, which, you remember, I had been "nursing along" running full blast for two days, died. (You can see the snow on the hood.)

Old Henry

Old Henry    -- 12-28-2011 @ 10:37 AM
  We were still 250 miles from home and 50 miles from the next town of Baker Nevada. I shut off everything except the engine hoping to make it to Baker where I hoped to charge up the battery enough to make it to the next town. There was a gas station in Baker but the two women running it didn't know anything of battery chargers. So, we had to hope to go another 50 miles to Delta Utah to get it charged. No luck there either.

We ended up driving clear home to Orem without any generator and, in fact, when we got to Orem I stopped to fill up with gas at a station where the ground was sloped enough to coast to start it again if I needed to but, miracle of miracles, after filling up with gas, there was still enough juice in the 6 volt battery to start the engine!

This was our first real "road trip" in Old Henry. It was not without it's mechanical challege but well worth it. Total of 1,340 miles over 5 days. For a detailed interactive map(meaning you can zoom in for detail) click here:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=201657653080246737384.0004b531c806772a30511&msa=0

P.S. It was also the first trip we had taken our little chihuahua Pepe on not knowing how motels would respond to him. We were pleasantly surprised to discover that most motels cater to pet owners and allow pets - I guess because so many travel with pets. Here's Pepe in his sleeping quarters on the package shelf under the rear window.

Old Henry

This message was edited by Old Henry on 12-28-11 @ 8:22 PM

Old Henry    -- 12-28-2011 @ 1:18 PM
  EPILOG:

After getting home I was able to do a little more thorough "sleuthing" of the electrical problem. It turned out that the problem was the old brittle stainless steel wire going to the field coil of the generator broke off inside of the insulation so it was not visible to look at. Since replacing that wire and the generator I've had no other charging problems.

This summer we did Pike's Peak. In February we're doing Death Valley.

Old Henry

This message was edited by Old Henry on 12-28-11 @ 2:37 PM

trjford8    -- 12-28-2011 @ 7:07 PM
  Henry, thanks for the photos and the story of your trip. Nothing like taking a long road trip in a Ford V-8. Our Jack Russell Terrier goes everywhere with us. Most motels are "pooch" friendly. Our pooch has as many miles on her as we do.

slyck14    -- 12-29-2011 @ 4:21 PM
  That was simply a wonderful story! What an adventure. Also a neat catch on your charging problem. As I am starting to prepare for a trip next fall, any insight and information I can get or hear about is great. It is too bad that someone hasn't opened a "TRIPS" section in the forum!!! Much like our Country's history, I feel that trips like this on merit retention, both for the beauty and also for the great information and tips on eating and sleeping and where it is pet friendly. Oatman is a trip all by it self!!!

Joe Syslo
Fort Worth, Texas
1946 Ford Business Coupe

Old Henry    -- 12-29-2011 @ 4:29 PM
  As this was our first road trip in "Old Henry" and my wife had spent a lot of time towing him home from wherever he died during the restoration process she was quite aprehensive to go. But, we figured the worse that could happen was that he would die a death from which I could not bring him back and we would call AAA (which I ALWAYS keep paid up) to tow him to a nice storage facility and catch a bus home to return later and really fix him. So, a little problem with the generator was nothing compared to what it might have been. One has to be prepared for the worse but hope for the best. But, in spite of the best possible preparation, there can be still be surprises that were not anticipated and you have to just "wing it" and hope to get back on the road. See our Pike's Peak trip this summer here: http://g.co/maps/p5nfe

Old Henry

This message was edited by Old Henry on 12-29-11 @ 9:42 PM

slyck14    -- 12-30-2011 @ 5:55 PM
  Tom,

I have checked and the S/N on the transmission matches the VIN. The car does have the tool box as well.The car is the 54,437th produced accordin to the numbers, but I have no idea where (Plant) it was produced or where it stands in the total of business coupes produced in the '46 Model year. I have ordered the book, but it hasn't arrived yet.

I appreciate your offer of assistance and I am really glad to have found another early Business Coupe owner. I am really new, having only jumped into the hobby at the beginning of December. I am sure that I will stumble many times. I have driven the car, but it is still in Florida having suspension and clutch work done. Due to business and other committments, I don't expect to have the car here before mid February. I can't wait to get my hands on it and start to really learn about it. I talk to my mechanic almost daily!!!

Happy New Year!!!!

Joe

Joe Syslo
Fort Worth, Texas
1946 Ford Business Coupe

slyck14    -- 12-30-2011 @ 5:57 PM
  Tom,

Do you know if "Build Sheets" exist for any of the '46 production?

Joe

Joe Syslo
Fort Worth, Texas
1946 Ford Business Coupe

Old Henry    -- 12-30-2011 @ 7:03 PM
  For build sheet contact the Henry Ford Museum, 20900 Oakwood Blvd., Dearborn, MI 48124 (313) 271-1620

When I tried to get the build sheet for my '47 I was informed that the archive had a major fire back in the 50's or 60's that destroyed the build sheets for my car. I thought that destruction was for '46 too but it's worth a try to get it. I sure wish I could have got one for mine.

Old Henry

This message was edited by Old Henry on 12-30-11 @ 7:07 PM

Old Henry    -- 12-30-2011 @ 7:06 PM
  For anyone that's interested, there is an annual organized "Fun Run" from Seligman to Topock each year in the spring. In 2012 it's May 4-6. We looked into that but just wanted to "go it alone." Here's the info for the organized run for anyone interested: http://www.azrt66.com/funrun.htm

Old Henry

slyck14    -- 02-13-2012 @ 7:57 PM
  Hey everybody, I wanted to do an update for all. I am just getting back from visiting my car, still in Florida undergoing some necessary suspension and clutch work. Well, now the engine is out, as well as the front and rear suspension. I have been able to document the tool box and not only does it exist, but the original bumper jack and a screwdriver are there, The covers are completely falling apart, but the toolbox is intact and not rusted through at all. WOW!!! I was also able to document the "bugs" on the windows, and a majority of them indicate January 1946 manufacture, which likely means a February 1946 vehicle production. The only exception is the right rear window, which indicates a February 1942, yes, 1942 manufacture. Might be a replacement, and it is significantly more bubbled and hazed around the edges. It is also cracked, but I actually like the patina.

Don't know where I am going to end up with the engine, but hope to just replace the gaskets. Cylinders looked pretty good. Since I have the heads off, would it be worth doing the valves? I have always believed that if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Before removing the heads, the engine ran and started with no smoke, and ran amazingly smooth for a 65 year old engine. I'm on the road returning from Florida now, but will post a picture or two when I get back home.

Joe Syslo
Fort Worth, Texas
1946 Ford Business Coupe

trjford8    -- 02-14-2012 @ 8:45 AM
  The tool box does indicate an early 46. You have pretty well identified the month that the car was built. Having a 42 quarter glass is not unusual as Ford used up supplies of "leftovers" especailly right after the war.
As long as the motor is out I would definitely do the valves and consider new rings and bearings if they are needed. The in and out labor is the same and better to catch a potential problem now than have to take it out a second time. I would also make sure the radiator is nice and clean and put on a set of new or rebuilt water pumps.

slyck14    -- 02-14-2012 @ 9:31 PM
  I appreciate the input. The new pumps are already bought, and the rest depends on what the engine specialist says. I agree about getting a problem when the opportunity is presented. I just hate to fix things not broken. What kind of investigator? I was an aircraft accident investigator.

Joe Syslo
Fort Worth, Texas
1946 Ford Business Coupe

TomO    -- 02-15-2012 @ 8:48 AM
  Joe, before you do any other work on the car, you should read the V-8 Clubs rules on Rouge Class. your car may be a candidate for an award in this class.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=4141