Topic: 1936 Ford electrics

w1spurgeon    -- 12-06-2009 @ 1:24 PM
  Newbe here. I just purchased a '36 Tudor in pretty good shape, but it has several issues I'll have to address. First is the electrical system. I need to:
1. Convert to a 12 volt system,
2. Install a new wiring harness, and
3. Change from generator to alternator.
Can these three things be done at the same time? If not, what is the correct sequence? Is there a manual I can buy that tells me how to do these things?

Stroker    -- 12-06-2009 @ 3:28 PM
  Well, I'll agree with you on item 2., but I believe 1 & 3 are unnecessary, unless you are going to
install a radically "hopped-up" high compression flatmotor. If the wiring loom is original, it most
likely needs to be replaced with a proper repop loom.

trjford8    -- 12-06-2009 @ 6:53 PM
  I agree with Stroker on retaining the 6 volt system. If you are new to the hobby you want to keep things simple. Install a new wiring harness if it is needed. Make sure the generator is operating properly, you have a good battery with the correct size battery cables, and you have good grounding. Grounding is VERY important with a 6 volt system.
In regards to a book or books I would recommend the following; Purchase the 1932-1937 Service Bulletin book which can be bought from most V-8 parts vendors. Next I would purchase the 1935-36 restoration book that was published by the Early V-8 Club.This book can be purchased on-line on this site. I would also recommend that you join the Early Ford V-8 Club. You will get 6 issues ayear of the V-8 Times magazine which will also have much information on maintaining your V-8.You can also join on-line or by calling toll free 1-866-427-7583

This message was edited by trjford8 on 12-6-09 @ 6:54 PM

w1spurgeon    -- 12-07-2009 @ 6:41 AM
  Well, doing only the wiring harness would certainly simplify things. The guy I bought the car from says he purchased a new Interstate 8 (yes, 8) volt battery and the car starts great without any effect on the dash instruments. Finally, I plan to do some street performance mods on the flathead after I address existing problems. How will this effect the other issues (6/12 volt, generator/alternator)?

w1spurgeon    -- 12-07-2009 @ 6:42 AM
  Well, doing only the wiring harness would certainly simplify things. The guy I bought the car from says he purchased a new Interstate 8 (yes, 8) volt battery and the car starts great without any effect on the dash instruments. Finally, I plan to do some street performance mods on the flathead after I address existing problems. How will this effect the other issues (6/12 volt, generator/alternator)?

trjford8    -- 12-07-2009 @ 7:02 AM
  If the 6 volt system is up to par you will not need the 8 volt battery. Most times the issue is poor grounding on a flathead and many try to cure slow starting,etc. with the 8 volt battery. 8 volt batteries are hard on bulbs. I don't know what type of steet performance mods you are going to do to the car, but generally they should work with 6 volts.

51f1    -- 12-07-2009 @ 2:02 PM
  Replace the wiring harness, but stick with 6-volts. I have a 6-volt system, and my truck cranks up immediately regardless of the temperature, the headlights are bright, well, adequate, and all of the electrics work great. Most of the trouble people have with 6-volt systems is because they don't maintain them Save your money and time and keep it original.

Richard

Pauls39    -- 12-08-2009 @ 7:08 AM
  Replace the harness and the battery cables. Stay with a good 6 volt battery and be sure all the ground connections are clean.
Get rid of the 8 volt battery. Your 6 volt generator will not charge it, and may burn out trying. Go with a quality conventional battery sized for the car or switch to an Optima gel cell battery.

194dee1    -- 12-12-2009 @ 9:25 AM
  when I redid my 1941, I changed to 12 volts because the car had no generator when I got it. A good 6 volt system will work just fine. For the wiring, I bought a wiring harness for a dune buggy. It was cheaper and most of the needed wire was there.
John

Henryat1140    -- 12-13-2009 @ 4:07 PM
  I just want add to the other posts about retaining the six volt system. I've written an article on the importance of grounding in our cars, you can read it at

http://home.comcast.net/~henry.horrocks/grounded.pdf

Hope you can see it OK, depending on your system the fonts may look a little weird, but you'll get the sense of it.

Good luck and have fun with your '36. I have two 36's and both start readily on 6v.

Regards

Henry

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=412