Topic: 32 standard coupe options

parrish    -- 12-16-2011 @ 8:08 AM
  Were cowl lights,chrome windshield frame,garnish woodgrain available options on the 5W or were those simply owner improvements? Thanks!

Model B    -- 12-16-2011 @ 12:07 PM
  Parrish....As I understand it, the cowl lights were a dealer add-on, if requested. As far as the woodgrained dash and chrome windshield frame are concerned...I am not certain, but I don't think they were options for the 5W. Dave Rehor will have answers to these. Pat

http://i750.photobucket.com/albums/xx145/ModelBPat/1932%20Ford%205W%20Coupe/325WResized.jpg

parrish    -- 12-16-2011 @ 4:20 PM
  thanks and THAT is a super looking car!

3w2    -- 12-16-2011 @ 8:36 PM
  Yes, Pat's coupe is a super nice car.

And yes, cowl lamps were available as a dealer-installed accessory. But the dash and window finish mouldings only came painted in "interior gray" and the windshield frame only in body color on a standard coupe (aka 5-window).

Dave

parrish    -- 12-17-2011 @ 8:11 AM
  Thanks again. Is the rumble seat conversion on a trunk model difficult? Also, I am in discussion with an owner with 35 wheels...were the original 18 inch normally swapped out for a reason?

3w2    -- 12-17-2011 @ 9:06 AM
  Unlike on the deluxe coupe where a conversion involves a lot of hard-to-find parts, the conversion on a standard coupe is not too difficult.

The biggest challenge (if you're converting a deck lid and don't have an original rumble lid) is to reinforce the hinge attachment points behind the sheet metal on the inner panel of the deck lid. Merely attaching the hinges to the sheet metal is a recipe for eventual failure of the attachments given the obvious stress on the sheet metal.

The brackets for the rubber bumpers to cushion the bottom of the rumble lid in the open position that are attached to the floor are available in reproduction form. The hinges and their attaching brackets that attach to the body are also available as reproductions. Be very wary of reproduction hinges, however, as some of the vendors claim that they fit both roadsters and standard coupes, which is not the case (see pages 11-19 and 11-22 of the V-8 Club's 1932 Ford book, if you have it). You'll obviously need the coupe version (original part numbers B-47430 and 47431).

The other reproduction part to be wary of is the step pad bracket that attaches to the end of the chassis frame on the right side (on a LHD car). The originals were forged steel and most reproductions are cast iron which is weak by comparison. (I understand that someone is now reproducing this bracket in cast steel, which ought to be much stronger than cast iron.)

There have been enough rumble seats converted to deck lids in recent years to make it worth the hunt to find and use all original hinges, hinge brackets, and step pad bracket, at least in my opinion.

As for the common practice (in the past) of using '35 16" wheels on Model As, '32s, and '33-'34s, I believe that its origins stem from the lack of tire availability during and immediately after WWII, when 6.00 x 16 were easier to come by (given the greater numbers of their original application by Ford and other auto makers). Eighteen and seventeen inch tire availability has not been an issue for nearly 50 years.

parrish    -- 12-18-2011 @ 12:47 PM
  Thanks, Dave...despite not being able to imagine a somewhat "level headed" person actually sitting in a rumble seat way back when, I still can't imagine converting to a trunk if you already have a rumble seat! Was it hotrodder panache or weight saving?

3w2    -- 12-18-2011 @ 8:13 PM
  I suspect the rationale is both a desire for more useable trunk space and ease of access to that space. Placing anything in the rumble floor area such as a suitcase, is a gymnastic exercise.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=4116