Topic: 38 Temp Gauge Sender

john38coupe    -- 12-14-2011 @ 5:39 PM
  My temp gauge sender is not working. Its currently removed from the dash and I put it in my palm and it shows no movement....even with a hair dryer. It consists of a brass bulb, copper capillary tube wrapped with plated steel wire which goes up to the gauge head. The car is a 38 coupe with 60hp. Don't know part number. Wondering what my options are for repair or replacement?? Doing complete stock restoration and don't care to buy overseas products. Thanks

ford38v8    -- 12-14-2011 @ 7:27 PM
  Hello John! I'll be glad to run you through the care and maintenance of your temperature gage. First, take good care of it, as it will cost you $$$ to replace it.

If there has been a leak in your gage system, there is replacement fluid available, but I know of none in the correct red color as original, and none that doesn't bleach under sunlight. I'd rather pay the bucks for a good one than to fool with a leaker. At a swapmeet, a quick test of a gage unit is to hold a match under the brass bulb and watch to see the liquid begin toi move. Use a match, not a lighter, as a match will burn out before destroying the unit.

Incorrect storage while removed from the car causes air bubbles in the tube, so it must be stored with the glass bulb at a higher plane than the tube and sender.

To check its accuracy, submerge the brass sender bulb in boiling water on the stove. While holding the glass bulb vertically, observe the correct boiling point position of the red liquid to be at the etched line on the glass. This is the 212º mark applied at the factory, and should still read correctly.

If it has bubbles, the red liquid will appear well up in the glass even while at ambient temperature, and way over the mark at boiling temperature.

To correct this problem, the tube must be straightened out, the entire assembly attatched securely lengthwise to a broomstick, and swung around rapidly with the brass bulb at the outside, to create a centrifuge. The air bubbles will migrate to the glass bulb end, the liquid to the brass bulb end.

When correctly installed, the etched line on the glass will coincide with the 212º mark on your dash gage. The tube is adjustable up and down to achieve this. Done right, you'll not find a more accurate automotive tempertature gage on any car, bar none.

Alan

john38coupe    -- 12-15-2011 @ 5:05 AM
  Alan, thanks so much for the information and I will work on that today and see what results......will let you know!

john38coupe    -- 12-19-2011 @ 6:00 PM
  Update Alan, I did have a leaker as there was no fluid what so ever. I have found a usable replacement fortunately. Thanks again.

ford38v8    -- 12-19-2011 @ 6:17 PM
  John, glad you found a rteplacement so soon. Don't chuck out the leaker though, as someone will want it.

Alan

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=4113