Topic: Water pump pulley wobble?

Flatbob    -- 12-12-2011 @ 10:20 PM
  Engine is on engine stand and when I turn pulleys by hand I can see wobble, one pulley is .060" out of round the other about .026" out. Is there a set tolerance for
the pulleys? These are new pumps and had the pulleys replaced, are they too far out to be useable?

This message was edited by Flatbob on 12-12-11 @ 10:25 PM

supereal    -- 12-13-2011 @ 6:37 AM
  If the wobble is just the pulley and not the shaft, they are probably OK. Most, if not all, cast pulleys have some out of round. If the belt is properly adjusted with at least a half inch of slack in the middle, it is likely they will work. If the shaft wobbles, I'd replace them, as the seal would be affected.

Flatbob    -- 12-13-2011 @ 8:49 AM
  Super, the pulleys are CNC machined after market; I going to assume the shafts were bent when the pulleys were pressed on? Maybe I need to ship them to Skip's for new shafts. Thanks for replying

supereal    -- 12-13-2011 @ 9:23 AM
  It is unlikely the shaft is bent, but Skip can tell you. The cast pulleys more often shatter before they will bend, but the others can bend. Anyone who has tried to get them off the shaft will agree. The more common problem is pulleys that do the "in and out" movement. That affects the seal, and leakage is comon. The new sealed ball bearing pumps should end that, now that the problems with the earlier bearings seems to have been solved.

Flatbob    -- 12-13-2011 @ 11:57 AM

Super, these pulleys do the "in and out" condition as you describe in addition to being out of round. These are the later truck pumps; I got these pumps about 5 years ago and I believe the seller told me they were sealed pumps, is there a way to indentify a sealed pump without taking them apart? I don't see a way to lubricate them as I do on my '36 pumps.

supereal    -- 12-13-2011 @ 1:13 PM
  There is no way to lube the pumps. It is a very good idea to add a container of anti rust/pump lube, particularly for cars that sit much of the time. The "in and out" wobble is not a good sign. The spring that holds the seal has probably failed. There is no clear definition of a "sealed pump", unless it refers to the type of bearing. When Ford went from the bronze bushings to ball bearings in their pumps, the failure rate was high. I suspect that may the case with your pumps. The new ball bearing pumps with the turbine impellers are not much more expensive than the rebuild of an old pump, and that is the way I'd go. The 8RT truck pumps are used when a later 8BA engine is put into an early frame.

This message was edited by supereal on 12-13-11 @ 9:05 PM

supereal    -- 12-13-2011 @ 9:08 PM
  I should add that the bushings type pumps actually are oiled thru a passage from the timing gear cover to each pump. It is important that this channel be cleared with a wire when the pumps are changed. This is not required for ball bearing pumps, of course.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=4106