Topic: 1948 Convertible

bo8109b    -- 12-11-2011 @ 11:19 AM
  Can the weather strip pieces or even just the metal channels be attached to the top irons prior to installing a new canvas top or should one wait till the new top is in place?

supereal    -- 12-11-2011 @ 6:56 PM
  You can install the channels and the seal strips before the top is installed on the frame. Be careful to bevel the ends so they mate as the top is raised into place. Pay particular attention to the ends that meet the windshield.

ford1941    -- 12-11-2011 @ 10:34 PM
  I just finished restoring my '41 convertible and faced the same issue with the metal top weatherstrip channels. Upon the advice of the shop that was installing my new convertible top, I chose not to permanently install the channels prior to the top completion, as some top fabric did fit under them on my '41 (where the backs of my door windows meet the top -- '41s have no quarter windows). However, what I did do was completely bend, drill and test fit the new metal channels prior to the top going on. I just did not permanently secure them. If you are working with the new replacement channels that are not pre-bent or pre-drilled, these tasks can be a bit tedious. Take care to bend the channels carefully, so as not to buckle them -- I had the best success gently bending them over pieces of metal with a similar shape/curve. Also take particular care in drilling or slotting the holes -- ensure your measurements are spot-on and that your holes are slotted or elongated slightly to allow for side-to-side alignment and adjustment with the window. And, as Supereal mentioned, be sure you carefully bevel the ends where they mate. Scott

supereal    -- 12-12-2011 @ 10:54 AM
  The 42-48's are different from the 41, which has the "blind" quarter. The top material does not fit under the channels for the later type. We repaired, painted, and adjusted the top mechanism before the top itself was installed. Be careful not to install the top so tight that the header will not fall easily on the dowels atop the windshield, and be sure that the rear bow with the pivot is able to fall as the top is lowered. Also, be sure that the self releasing snaps are used, or the top will be damaged if ordinary snaps are used, and they are not released prior to lowering the top. If your top mechanism doesn't have the counterbalance springs, they need to ne in place to assist operating the top.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=4096