Topic: 33 steering box

jims33    -- 12-07-2011 @ 5:10 PM
  Hi, I am rebuilding the steering box on my 33 2 door. I have the box out and apart, it has "B-3550 cast into it. The bottom of the worm where the bearing rides is rough. I see most of the vendors have a worm gear listed - number 40-3524 and say it's for a 15-1 ratio. I don't know what my ratio is, but the shaft turns 3.5 turns lock to lock. Would this be the right gear? They also show the sector being available, would I need that too or would my sector fit against this reproduction part? Are these repo parts worth while? My sector gear looks good.
The ball on the pitman arm is worn too, but it looks like I'm out of luck on that - they aren't available, or are they? Any insight or advice would be appreciated, thanks
Jim S.

3w2    -- 12-07-2011 @ 11:00 PM
  The 15 to 1 ratio worm and sector was used on '34s whereas the '33 used the same ratio (and gears) as the '32s (13 to 1). So, if you replace the worm gear, the sector gear would have to be replaced as well. I've no experience with reproduction steering gear parts, but since the metallurgy of those parts is of vital importance, I'd recommend caution.

jims33    -- 12-08-2011 @ 4:59 AM
  Hi and thanks. I've owned this car since 1970 and thought I knew quite a bit about the early V8s, but I didn't know that. Another difference between the 33's and the 34's! I think I saw a worm for the 13-1 in one of the catalogs or web sites, forgot which one. I'm not crazy about most repoduction parts, at least years ago they never seemed to be very high quality (sometimes really bad). I haven't done much with my car for a number of years and now started fixing some stuff up again. Maybe the repo parts have improved. I bet any new gears won't last like these did. My gear box would still be almost like new if the seals hadn't dried out (and if I hadn't kept driving it with no oil in it).
Jim S.

Dolman    -- 12-08-2011 @ 8:12 AM
  You have probably already seen that the ball on your pitman arm is not a bolt on. I had the same alarm with the arm on my '34 pickup but found a rebuilder, A&L Parts Specialties, 860-693-2620. I am very satisfied with his work.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=4082