Topic: Stromberg 97 carbs

36cab    -- 12-07-2011 @ 12:07 PM
  Hi,
Does anyone have an answer to why the fuel in a Stromberg 97 carb would drain down when the car has been sitting for a week. I have an electric fuel pump and there is gas in the line when you disconnect it from the carb but the float bowel is empty when you take the top off the carb. The fuel is not leaking at the gasket either. Has anyone had this problem?
Thanks for any help.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 12-07-2011 @ 1:56 PM
  Did you check the 2 brass screw in the bowl in the front of the carb,
place a paper towel under the carb overnight and see if you see any traces of gas dripping's should leave stains,
these screws have a habit of seeping,you might try replacing the 2 gaskets under the screws,
I am not a fan of the electic pumps,if you have to use one, you are masking the problem to start with.
usually the electric pumps have to much pressure.
if you use one make sure you have a regultor in use,
that reduces the pressure,
to much pressure will cause leaks,
also be sure to check the float level
my 3 cents 37 RAGTOPMAN

supereal    -- 12-07-2011 @ 6:12 PM
  The 97 was noted for leakage, probably due to the unusual "emulsion" tube design. If the tube was removed without using the proper special tool, leakage was the result. We have installed electric fuel pump for years without problems.

doning    -- 12-08-2011 @ 3:11 AM
  Yup! I have the same problem with mine. I put too much money into it and it still has issues. I'm buying a new Stromberg 97. If you do the same, make sure it's English made.

36cab    -- 12-08-2011 @ 6:27 AM
  Hi,
Thanks for the comments. I emailed Stromberg in England and they have heard of this problem but had no suggestions on the cause.
I have installed new jets and gaskets on the screws on the front of the fuel bowel and there is no leakage there so it is still a mystery.
I also have a fuel regulator on the line set at two and a half pounds.
The search continues.

doning    -- 12-08-2011 @ 7:11 AM
  I would remove the carb, fill the bowl with gas and set it up over a piece of a white paper towel. If the towel has a stain on it then it's leaking through the bottom somewhere.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=4080