Topic: external gas tank

parrish    -- 12-04-2009 @ 5:58 PM
  I would like to run off an external tank while waiting for a back-ordered steel tank and have encountered some trouble pulling fuel from ground level. New fuel pump gulps gas from a plastic cup using a short (12 inches) rubber tube (ID just big enough to slide over original fuel line stub at pump and tigtened with a small clamp) and held at frame level. When longer tube is used to reach plastic tank on ground, I don't see fuel being pulled into the plastic fuel filter as before...even after extended cranking (6 - 10 seconds). Is it too far to pull from an open system? Or something else???

ford38v8    -- 12-04-2009 @ 10:34 PM
  Parrish, It may not be too far to pull, but it is too high to pull. It's also not
safe, and if you survive the fire, your insurance company will surely deny
the claim.

Alan

trjford8    -- 12-05-2009 @ 8:07 AM
  Parrish, the stock tank and line has a siphon effect from the tank, so the pump does not have to pull very hard to move the fuel. You are trying to pull gas straight up and in addition you have a lot of air in the hose between the pump and the can. The pump simply won't pull fuel under these conditions. I also agree that an open container of gas is not safe in the event of a backfire or spilled on to a hot manifold.

parrish    -- 12-06-2009 @ 9:12 AM
  Thanks guys...fire hazard understood, but I need to run the engine to test new water pumps for leakage, carburetor rebuild results, new fuel pump, ignition wiring testing, radiator, etc. Old tank is off car and full of rusty sh*llac. Drake won't have tanks until February. I am considering a poly tank to cut the wait time. The external tank sits about 2 feet from the driver fender on concrete floor and a fire extinguisher sits next to it...Anyway, I read your input and manually filled the tube with gas before cranking and that seemed to solve the suction issue. I only run the engine for a few moments and, no, I am not comfortable with the situation and I'm open to suggestions!

ford38v8    -- 12-06-2009 @ 11:57 AM
  Parrish, Drake will tell you February now. Come February he might tell you April. In April it will be June. I tell you this from
personal experience and from talking with others. If he doesn't have a part in stock when you order it, don't count on
delivery any time soon. This is just a fact of business life, nothing against Drake. He can't make a production run for a
small number of parts and can't carry a large inventory beyond what has been ordered. The poly tank is an excellent
product, but of course incorrect for the Concourse. You might consider a modern sloshing compound from Bill Hirsch.
http://hirschauto.com/

Alan

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 12-06-2009 @ 12:43 PM
  external fuel tank.
I run a plow jeep with a 5 gal outboard motor fuel plastic tank,I have it placed behind the front seat,this even has a priming bulb attached,I think CABELA'S sells these to about $40.00,even has its own fuel gauge[ you will have to add a connection from that to the FORD fuel line,with clamps,
make sure there no leaks,
this might get the job done,37RAGTOPMAN
seem pretty safe to me,for testing purposes

trjford8    -- 12-06-2009 @ 7:08 PM
  Parrish, call around to other V-8 vendors for your tank. Drake may not have any at his store, but one of his vendors may have one in stock. Check the vendors listed on the front page of this site. If they can't help then call a company called Yogi's in Iowa 1-800-373-1937. They sell the poly tank and also the steel tanks. I've bought tanks from them and they have a big stock of parts.

Wolfie    -- 12-06-2009 @ 7:18 PM
  I was doing the same thing...waiting for a tank from Drake in Feb. C&G was able to get one for me. Check with C&G, they may be able to help.

parrish    -- 12-07-2009 @ 7:54 AM
  thanks guys...I looked at Yogi's web site and the poly tank for $193 seems good. TRJFORD8: you've installed them before? Mine is a 39...any install issues you can think of? Side to side flange dimensions would be one concern. Anyway, I'll call them and ask...

supereal    -- 12-07-2009 @ 8:18 AM
  I have a tank from Yogi's in my '47. It is a good piece, and I had only one issue in getting it installed. The stock tank has a dent in the forward side that wasn't cast into the plastic tank, and it took some jockeying to get it in place. Be sure that the cage nuts that hold the tank are in good condition before you start the installation, because once the tank is in place, they can't be reached. My tank has an outboard vent that fits up into the fender well. I also used a "universal" gauge sender because the original arm was too short. Be sure to install a ground wire to the body of the sender in any plastic tank. It is cast with a hole in the center to form a baffle, and has given no trouble since I put it in years ago. I'm not surprised that Drake can't deliver. Around here, we call him "Backorder Bob".

trjford8    -- 12-07-2009 @ 6:56 PM
  Parrish, the plastic tank is easy to install. I've installed two 40's , a 35 and a 46. As others have said you will need to use the sending unit that Yogi's has for the Fords. Your old unit is too short and has a different bolt pattern.You will also need to run a ground wire from the sender to the frame.
I prefer the poly tank due to the fact it will withstand any type of fuel(all your new cars have poly tanks) and the fact it is much safer in the event of a rear end crash. Follow the instructions that come with the tank and you will be fime.

parrish    -- 12-08-2009 @ 2:37 PM
  thanks guys, Boo Boo is heading over to Yogi's

parrish    -- 12-22-2009 @ 2:20 PM
  poly tank arrived. Any suggestions on best castle nut solution? Original tank had permanent castle nuts attached to the flange. This poly tank has one thru-flange hole and two open holes (at the correct original location)...

This message was edited by parrish on 12-22-09 @ 7:58 PM

trjford8    -- 12-22-2009 @ 8:49 PM
  parrish, I use the nylon lock nuts on the tank mounting bolts.

parrish    -- 12-23-2009 @ 8:46 AM
  hmmm...thinking this one over...don't I need to adhere the cage nuts to the flange top like the original or is there a more straightforward solution?

trjford8    -- 12-23-2009 @ 6:33 PM
  parrish, the tank usually comes with some large washers like fender washers. If you don't have them go to the hardware store and get three of them along with three 3/8 SAE bolts of the correct length and three nylon lock nuts. I feed the bolts and the washers through the top of the tank and put the nuts on the bottom. It's a little tough to get the bolts in from the top, but it can be done.

parrish    -- 12-23-2009 @ 8:14 PM
  thanks...I have a bin of old Ford washers and I'll give your method a try.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=408