Topic: Wheel trim ring

daoust    -- 12-06-2011 @ 9:48 AM
  Please see the attachecd photo. My 1947 convertible has what appears to be an additional chrome "trim ring" on the wheel in between the hup cap and outer trim ring. It covers most of the wheel between the hub cap and outer ring and hides where the painted stripes should be.

Has anyone ever seen these before? Are they a legitimate accessory or would I need to remove them for judging?

David Daoust

supereal    -- 12-06-2011 @ 11:10 AM
  Those trim rings were sold by places such as Western Auto, etc, and were common in the 40's and 50's as "dress up" accessories. I'm not a judge, but I assume that since they are not "real" Ford accessories, they would be removed for judging. The wheels should have three stripes, two narrow flanking a center stripe.

ford38v8    -- 12-06-2011 @ 9:53 PM
  Good call, Bob! I haven't seen those trim rings since Porta-Walls were in vogue!

Alan

supereal    -- 12-07-2011 @ 6:56 AM
  Thanks, Alan. Those were the days of "flipper" wheel covers, Cadillac trim on our fender " skirts" necker knobs, and freshly painted "whitewalls", courtesy of Western Auto. As a tribute, I still have blue dot tail lights on my '47!

This message was edited by supereal on 12-7-11 @ 7:00 AM

TomO    -- 12-07-2011 @ 7:11 AM
  The inner trim ring on your car looks similar to the inner trim ring that was an approved Ford accessory for the 40-42 Fords and may have been for the 46 Fords. I gave away my accessory catalogs for the post war Fords, so I can't say that they were an approved accessory for the 46.

I doubt that they were available for the 47 Fords, because the trim rings changed from the 4 rib to the smoother wavy trim ring.

I would check with John McDonald, the 46-48 Adviser, before displaying them on the Concourse.

Tom

daoust    -- 12-07-2011 @ 9:33 AM
  Thanks guys. I already have an email out to John McDonald.

For what it's worth it looks like Mac's still sells them as part # 01A-18303-SS.

The list it as 1940-41 item and describe it as "A reproduction of an original FORD accessory."

Who knows if thats true or not....

David Daoust

41-42fordadvisor    -- 12-07-2011 @ 12:47 PM
  The inter beauty trim ring on your 47 Ford are indeed a 1940 to 1942 Ford accessory. I have been unable to find these accessory trim rings listed in any Ford parts book printed from 1946 to 1948. If I was judging this car I would deduct points. But it would be interesting to see what John McDonald has to say on this topic. As this has come up during judging at National Meets where I have been on the 1946-1948 judging team.

daoust    -- 12-07-2011 @ 2:12 PM
  I'll be taking no chances. Those will be coming off prior to judging.

Thanks to all for the input.

David Daoust

ford1941    -- 12-11-2011 @ 10:05 PM
  One thing to keep in mind as you pull those inner trim rings is that you are supposed to have pinstriping -- two thin stripes surrounding a thicker one -- under where the trim rings sit. Sometimes people used those accessory trim rings to cover the wheel and avoid having to re-paint the original pinstripes. The 41-48 Ford Book shows a picture of these pinstripes (page 4-14), and also has the proper color combination based on your body color (pages 2-3 & 2-4). If you do need to re-paint your wheel stripes, a good sign painter or auto pinstriper can do it. I happen to know a very good one in Chicago if that helps, but I'm sure the forum or your local EFV8 Regional Group can direct you to ones elsewhere. Scott

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=4074