Topic: 1939 Worlds Fair 1940 Ford Convertible Sedans

Kohn Lee Williamson    -- 12-05-2011 @ 7:04 AM
  Ford V8 Club, I have a 39 Convertible sedan which is possibly a 1939 Worlds Fair one of six 40 Convertible sedans allegedly produced for the 1939 worlds fair. Do you have any info on the facts of this? Were there any 1940 Convertible sedans built? My frame no (hard to read) is Star symbol 187330896I Star symbol, has delux hood and trim. I'd really appreciate getting any info you may have on these 6 cars if they were produced. best Regards John A. Williamson 10353 Eldora Ave Sunland Ca 91040 jwillia100@aol.com

TomO    -- 12-05-2011 @ 7:26 AM
  I don't know anything about the 6 1940 convertible sedans supposedly built for the Worlds Fair, but your best source for information is the Ford Archives at The Henry Ford.

The serial number that you posted falls in the range of WWII trucks. I suggest that you try to determine the digit after the 18 as a 7 seems to be incorrect.

Tom

John Lee Williamson    -- 12-06-2011 @ 8:19 AM
  Tom, thanks I will look again, it is very hard to read. Anybody ever heard of these 6 4 Dr Convertible 40 Ford cars made for the 1939 Worlds Fair? Best Regards John W

supereal    -- 12-06-2011 @ 11:34 AM
  The last 4 door convertibles were built in the 1939 model year, as Ford began to build all their own bodies, instead of purchasing from vendors such as Murray, which made the open sedan. Only 3,561 were made, making it a rare Ford. Ford did exhibit at the New York World's fair, and displayed the 28 millionth Ford, a "fordor". There were two "expositions" that year, the World's Fair at New York, and the Golden Gate in California. The New York fair had a "Road of Tomorrow" exhibit, but I can't find any evidence that convertible sedans were used. Ford could have had some made for the purpose, as they were keen on promotion.

Lawson Cox    -- 12-06-2011 @ 5:02 PM
  Don't know about the Fords on display at the 39 fair but the joke of the day was,"that is one h*ll of an erection for just one ball". Now go Google 39 worlds fair and learn what the symbol looked like. LOL

ford38v8    -- 12-06-2011 @ 9:44 PM
  And there goes Lawson, off on his favorite subject!
Hey Lawson, seen any good girlie shows lately?

Alan

jerry.grayson    -- 12-07-2011 @ 3:56 AM
  There were no 1940 Ford convertible sedans built. You may be thinking of the 1939 rose bowl parade. They had several 1939 convertible sedans painted white with a red rose on the door, that were in the parade.
Is every thing about your car 1940? Column shift, 1940 dash, 1940 brake and clutch pedals,etc?
Where are you getting your information about the history of the car?

ford38v8    -- 12-07-2011 @ 3:55 PM
  Jerry, Glad you remembered that one! It was in fact, the Portland Rose Festival which featured Open Fords painted white from the factory. On the doors were painted large red roses. The white Fords were featured in 1938 and 1939. The first parade cars carried high school Queens and Princesses, followed by local politicians and celebrities, and by Ford sedans with the same rose on white. The spectacle of a white Ford with that rose , crammed full of bathing beuties waving to the crowds was a sight for Lawson to see!

Alan

Stroker    -- 12-07-2011 @ 4:39 PM
  And is suspect Stroker, Supereal & 38v8 would have enjoyed it as well, had we not been simply gleams in our father's eyes, or sucking on glass bottles.

ford38v8    -- 12-07-2011 @ 5:25 PM
  But Dan, I thought we were sworn to secrecy?

Alan

TomO    -- 12-09-2011 @ 6:37 AM
  John, could you please post some photos of your car? It would be interesting to see if it was one of the many 39 Fords that had a 40 front clip installed during the 50's.

There used to be a 39 convertible with a 40 deluxe front clip running around the North Shore suburbs of Chicago during the early 50's. It still had the 39 dash and trunk handle and many other items that identified it as a 39.

Tom

supereal    -- 12-09-2011 @ 10:44 AM
  Dan: By that time I had mastered the tricycle, and was contemplating a two wheeled conveyance. I was fascinated by the symbols of the World's Fair, the "Trylon and Perisphere", and had a snow globe of these icons that my grandparents brought back from New York. It was a glimpse of the "world of tomorrow", which was eclipsed in the next year by Pearl Harbor.

turbotank    -- 12-17-2015 @ 5:07 PM
  can you help me figure out this 40 ford 4 door convertible?

serial number. I8*5550918*

car has 40 tail lights. car has column shift. engine trans and frame numbers all match. as also do the original title match, with it being named a 40 ford 4 dr convertible on the title.

the car had 2 spotlights, and had a light or antenna of some sort on the ds rear fender.

car has deluxe trim and dash.

i know alot of the cars that we see being clones with the 40 sheet metal vin out as 39's but this one doesnt.

police car?
special order parade car?
on of the 6 worlds fair cars?

it was blue in color if that helps

TomO    -- 12-18-2015 @ 6:49 AM
  It would be nice if you could post some photos. It will be necessary to do a separate reply for each photo.

The serial number is near the mid-point of 1840 production.

Tom

kubes40    -- 12-18-2015 @ 7:19 AM
  I was asked to weigh in on this on the FordBarn. Below is a copy of my response on that site.

Oh boy, I am very apprehensive to weigh in on this one. Why? Because I am nearly certain I'll have a number of guys tell me I am full of poopy, etc.
I chose to weigh in well, for one, I've been called worse (by better men) and two, I do have a little research experience with these supposed "40 convertible sedans".

Now, here's what I had found out about these orphans: _________________
That's right, nothing, zip, zero, nada. There was never any documentation uncovered by me nor anyone else that I am aware of that Ford actually built any of these cars.
I began my look in to these way back in the 1980's.
There were stories, photos, rumors, but no documentation.
Where's that leave us? Well, in my humble opinion, Ford did NOT create these cars. As Deuce has advised, this would be a rather simple project for anyone with good body craft skills. Plus, keep in mind that when these cars were stating to be "discovered" in the late 50's / early 60's, the "donor cars" ('39 conv. sedan & 40 anything) had little to no value. Also, the "heyday" of modifying cars. I also need to pose this question: "Why is there no record of these from 1940 forward"? They seemingly "popped up" in the late 50's.
Deuce made another very valid point. Numbers matching frame, transmission and title are all too easy to acquire and / or manufacture. In fact, this car would be simple to build - far easier than some serious restorations I've done.
The two factory equipped Mercury engine'd 1940 Fords I have had (still have one) were purchased by me with full documentation right back to build "sheets". Plus, I did research to find corresponding proof that these two vehicles were as they were purported to be.

I have witnessed first hand 1940 Ford convertible coupes, yep, rumble seat, floor shift... beautiful cars. Ford never built one but I had on two separate occasions two different guys insisting they were "real". Yes, I'd agree...real cars. No, not Ford built.

That old wives tale of these being built for the Worlds Fair... really? Does it not seem odd that Ford would have built them so late in to 1940 production (according to the number on the one in this thread)? That number puts it in the late January to perhaps mid to late February build.

Not sure if all '39 convertible sedans had a body number plate. My guess would be "yes". I have had numerous '40 convertibles and most (all but one) had a body plate. Even that one had the nail holes for the body plate rivets, plate being absent. Every '39 convertible I have had, has had a body plate as well.
Oh, one more thing on this thought... even the '40 coupes with factory equipped Mercury engines had body plates. And, in two of three that I know of, had the cowl stamped to indicate Mercury engine'd Ford.
My current '40 convertible has both a body plate and the cowl stamped to indicate this "anomaly".
The point being: Ford did tend to keep control of what they were building.

Bottom line? As has been advised previously, be skeptical, be VERY skeptical.

Ford did tend to document - very well in fact, any "customs / prototype' cars they authorized. The lack of anything mentioning this car leads me to believe (to reiterate) this car never happened at Ford or "by" Ford.

I try my best to keep an open mind about this type of thing and to that point, and in regard to this particular vehicle, I would welcome proof contrary to my opinion of its pedigree.

As a final note I truly would enjoy thoughtful responses to this thread.
Respectfully,
Mike "Kube" Kubarth

woodiewagon46    -- 12-18-2015 @ 7:59 AM
  Mike is correct (as usual). I have been playing with antique Fords since 1962 and I can't begin to tell you of how many rumors and incorrect fact's that people come up with. "Ford only built three of these", "Ford want's this car back and will pay thousands to get it", "It was owned buy Henry himself". Unless you have solid documentation it's just another Ford car. I know this really hurts someone's ego but thats just the way it is. Keep searching you might get lucky!

trjford8    -- 12-18-2015 @ 5:32 PM
  It would be very easy to place a '39 convertible sedan on a 40 chassis and add all the '40 parts to the body. The 40 paper work would go with the chassis since the serial # is on the chassis. There is no known documentation in the archives to indicate that Ford built any convertible sedans in '40.Without any archive documentation it puts a '40 convertible sedan in the category of an "urban legend".
Lorin Sorensen did a book on the Ford Shows which included the World's Fairs. Lorin was a '40 guy and nowhere in his book does it show a '40 convertible sedan. My wife worked for Lorin and typed many of his books and I'm sure if such a car existed we would have had a conversation about it.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=4068