Topic: Differences between 34 and 36 flatheads

rbone    -- 12-02-2011 @ 2:19 PM
  My '34 Tudor has a 59ab flathead - runs great, no issues. I have always had my eyes open looking for a good 21 stud motor in the event I ever wanted to really show my car. I have no plans to do that as I enjoy driving the car too much. But at the same time, I would like to have the means to do so if I ever wanted to.

I have found what appears to be a good 21 stud motor that appears to be out of a '36. According to the owner, it was rebuilt a few years ago. In the photos I have, the only thing I can see that is not original is that is has steel heads with a 68-XXXX stamp. I do not know if the bearings are babbit or insert. My understanding is that change occured in mid-36. Other than the 68 stamp on the heads and the bearings, are there any other visible differences between these years? If so, are these differences noticable externally if I was to ever want to show my car.

Also, if things look good, I plan to go and have a close up look at this motor. Any tips on what I should be looking for in addition to cracks in the block and heads?

Thanks in advance,
Ron

This message was edited by rbone on 12-2-11 @ 2:21 PM

supereal    -- 12-02-2011 @ 5:49 PM
  More often than not, an old "rebuild" is a sign of trouble. Have a shop that knows about these old engines look at it before you put up the cash. '35 was a transition year at Ford, and you could find a babbit bearing engine, or the later insert type. Usually these very old engines were removed because of problems. I hate to be a wet blanket, but I've seen too many not to be skeptical.

JM    -- 12-02-2011 @ 6:24 PM
  One difference between '34 and '36 is the '36 will have the ventilated block and the '34 will not. The '36 oil pan has a vent slot in the front and the '34 does not. However, you could possibly use a '34 oil pan on the '36 block and defeat this ventilation system. I'm not 100% sure on that though.

JM

This message was edited by JM on 12-2-11 @ 6:26 PM

rbone    -- 12-02-2011 @ 7:42 PM
  Thanks and keep the information coming. Supereal - don't worry about being a 'wet blanket'. I am looking for information to make sure I don't make a mistake.

I talked to the owner this evening and found out some more details about the motor. It was pulled running from a car that was being shown. It was not the original motor in whatever car it was in at that time. He said the car was being docked points because of this. He said he has just lost interest and now only deals with muscle cars. I'm not sure what to make of this.

I also read about the oil pan vent on the '36 and understand that the pans are interchangeable.

Please keep the information coming.
Ron

This message was edited by rbone on 12-2-11 @ 8:09 PM

Brendan    -- 12-03-2011 @ 6:40 AM
  i got a 35 21 stud motor from a friend of mine for 500$.he said that it was rebuilt 30 years ago, i had a few issues with it that i had to iron out before i put it in my 36 pickup. 4 pistons where put in backward and i re -ringed it. if you can get your motor for a good price go for it. you may won't to open it up to see what is going on inside. Brendan

Can't spell my way out of a paper bag!

kubes40    -- 12-03-2011 @ 6:45 AM
  The pans are in fact interchangeable. As are the intakes which of course are different 34 vs 36. And obviously, the fuel pump stand, carburetor, cylinder heads, etc. can all be swapped.
The biggest difference that can be noticed externally on each of these blocks is the cavity adjacent to each motor mount. The 34 block has both cavities at the same depth while the 36 block has one cavity (deep) and one shallow.
Sometimes referred to as the two knuckle test... you should be able to measure the depth by placing your fingers in each cavity to, you guessed it, to the second knuckle within EACH side (cavity) of a 34 block.

This message was edited by kubes40 on 12-3-11 @ 3:21 PM

rbone    -- 12-03-2011 @ 3:46 PM
  Here are some pictures. Please let me know what you think the year of this motor might be - aside from the heads - and anything else that catches your attention.

Thanks.

rbone    -- 12-03-2011 @ 3:48 PM
  pic #2

rbone    -- 12-03-2011 @ 3:49 PM
  pic #3

rbone    -- 12-03-2011 @ 3:53 PM
  pic #4

Stroker    -- 12-03-2011 @ 6:04 PM
  Mike gave you the ultimate test for determining the block. I can only add that the intake is pre 35 based on the "submerged" runners.

carguy    -- 12-03-2011 @ 7:03 PM
  I'm learning here too. What is meant by the intake has "submerged" runners?

Bill Brown
'34 Cabriolet

Stroker    -- 12-04-2011 @ 8:03 AM
  Well that's hardly a "technical" term, but if you look at a 34 manifold, it has a
sort of coffin-like smooth top. The 35 and up manifolds have runners that are clearly externally visible from port to plenum. 34 manifolds look more like a 2-bbl version of the 1-bbl 32-33 manifolds.

1934 Ford    -- 12-04-2011 @ 5:57 PM
  Good discussion here.
Supereal said: "More often than not, an old "rebuild" is a sign of trouble. Have a shop that knows about these old engines look at it before you put up the cash. Usually these very old engines were removed because of problems."
He has a point but don't let that deter you. Think about it, these engines are 75 years old and I doubt than any of them are not "Older Rebuilds". Engines of this vintage had a hard life and one that has not been rebuilt would be a really goog find, but not worth waiting for. A rebuildable one is more important.
I had a great 34 engine set up for the 1984 Great American Race and ran it that year an again in 1987.
When the car was sold the new owner wanted a 100 HP flathead and my engine became surplus. It sat aound in several shops for years and was eventually sold for $400 by an owner who thought "original sh*t wasn't any good".
I'm sure it's not the only 21 stud cast aside for the newer 24 stud engine. Yes, the guy who took it out must have thought, "to old, to much trouble, not cool".
There are some good finds out there! The guy I bought my spare 34 engine from had in his 32 Ford, that would become a 50's nostalgia rod. It was a Montgomery Wards rebuild in the 50's with 10K on it.
I drove his car with that engine and put my name on it an eventually got it.
They're out there!

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=4054