Topic: Dual Exhaust

daoust    -- 12-01-2011 @ 11:36 AM
  My '47 Ford has dual exhaust. I'm considering going back to the original single exhaust configuration. Is there any disadvantage to doing so? Any performance differences to expect?

Thanks.

David Daoust

Stroker    -- 12-01-2011 @ 12:25 PM
  If you have a seriously modified i.e. bored, stroked, multi-carb hot rod engine, then I would expect you would see some diminished performance at the top end.

With an otherwise stock engine, I don't believe you will notice any difference except to your ears. The engine will probably warm up faster, and your single muffler will finally get hot enough to boil out the condensate, thereby making it last much longer.

daoust    -- 12-01-2011 @ 12:48 PM
  Thanks Stroker

My primary concern is that the duals could cost me 20 points in concourse judging. I'm planning on going to Georgia in June (it will be by first EFV8 show) and I'm trying to get her as ready as I can.

David Daoust

oldford2    -- 12-01-2011 @ 2:01 PM
  David,
We entered our 46 in concourse just one time to get the scoring sheets. 880 for a second and there were not many of our "defects" that I wanted to change. So, at Saratoga we entered Rouge and did well. But, we had a great time and met many people and saw a couple hundred nice flatheads.
Your engine must be stock or you would not be thinking of entering the concourse so therefor going to the original exhaust system will not diminish performance, just your pocketbook. Do you want a driver or a showcar? Those duals on a flathead with some steel packs sure sound sweet.
John

This message was edited by oldford2 on 12-1-11 @ 2:02 PM

daoust    -- 12-01-2011 @ 2:39 PM
  John, my engine is stock 59A-B. I think I'm fortunate to have a mostly original car. At the end of the day I want a driver but I do want to take a run at a Dearborn at least one time. If that means making a few changes I guess I'm prepared to do it. Do you think that is a bad idea? Picture attached.

Thank you.

David Daoust

40cpe    -- 12-01-2011 @ 3:39 PM
  OOOOOOOOH!

oldford2    -- 12-01-2011 @ 6:24 PM
  David,
Sure looks like your car is a Dearborn from your picture. A beauty. So if you want to enter the concourse then go for it. 20 points is a lot so maybe go back to the original system. Be sure the bolts and hangars are correct. Lou B is a judge so use his wisdom on preparing your car for the Eastern. Good luck.
John

tbloss    -- 12-02-2011 @ 5:39 AM
  David: Your car is beautiful,but I would remove the duals. As mentioned, the duels could turn into a 25 point deduct because of clamps, hangers and the wrong mufflers. I wouldn't take the chance. When I went for my first Dearborn several years ago with my 46 Bus Cp I drove the car to the meet---1200 miles round trip. Some place in Tennessee I saw a muffler shop, pulled in and had the duels removed. Got some deducts for clamps etc, but not 20-25 points. 20 points would have put me under 950. My 2 cents.. Tom

Tblossom

daoust    -- 12-02-2011 @ 8:01 AM
  Thanks boys.....it's decided. The duals gotta go. Its not like I can't re-install them down the road someday.

Thanks again to everyone.

David Daoust

TomO    -- 12-07-2011 @ 7:49 AM
  Dave,

Your car is very nice and I would enjoy seeing it on the Concourse at a national meet.

As a long time member of the Club, I would advise you to take photos of all sides of the car, the interior and the engine compartment and send them to the 46-48 Adviser. Ask him to point out all of the items that he can see in the photos that are incorrect for a 47 Ford. Doing this will not guarantee a Dearborn Award, but will prevent you from being disappointed with your judging score.

Tom

daoust    -- 12-07-2011 @ 11:24 AM
  Thank you TomO. As a matter of fact, I've already done that. Just waiting to hear back from John.

David Daoust

butchbov    -- 12-21-2011 @ 3:52 AM
  Beautiful car.

46fordnut    -- 12-21-2011 @ 11:31 AM
  looks perfect to me....drop the top and go!! mine is not as nice as that...

100 horse running wild

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=4050