Topic: Remund Electronic ignition

pamnjay    -- 11-29-2011 @ 5:58 AM
  I removed my Remund ignition from my '47 woody some time back to do some detailing and freshening up and of course it got out of hand and now the whole frnt end is off the car. I am now putting everything back together and cannot find my wiring diagram that I received from Mickey 8 or 10 years ago. It's a '42 dist.
My question is with the 6 volt Pos. ground, using the electronic ignition, do you use the under the dash resistance unit or by pass it?
Jay Armstrong

41-42fordadvisor    -- 11-29-2011 @ 7:37 AM
  You have to by pass the resistor unit as you need the full 6 volts of battery voltage for the electronic ignition to work to its full advantage.

supereal    -- 11-29-2011 @ 11:01 AM
  Be sure you observe polarity when connecting the unit. Many were made to use negative ground, and will be damaged if connected in reverse.

pamnjay    -- 11-29-2011 @ 4:15 PM
  Thanks for the reply.
What is the proper way to hook this up. I have two wires coming from the Dist.now that it has been converted. a long black one and a black one with a white stripe. As previously noted the dist. was built for 6 volt pos. grd.
Jay

deluxe40    -- 11-29-2011 @ 5:24 PM
  Jay, I have a new, in-the-box, Remund distributor that came as a spare for a similar unit that was on my car. My car is 6v positive ground with a '42 style distributor. This unit has one black wire that is 13 1/2 inches long and ends in a female bullet connector and one black wire with a white stripe that is 16 1/2 inches long and ends with a round terminal.

The unit on my car was the same. The shorter black wire with the bullet connector was connected to the wire from the ignition switch (which bypassed the resistor on the firewall). The longer black and white wire went to the coil. AS I RECALL, it went to the (-) terminal. The (+) side of the coil was then grounded to a manifold bolt. (My memory isn't very good).

The invoice included in the box shows this distributor to be a "F-42-48-6 Model #34V-6VPT" and that a previously installed module "#31U-6VPT" had been replaced during a rebuild. (My car is a '34, if that is relevant).

Note that I removed the electronic distributor and replaced it with a stock points setup because the engine was dying every time I turned on any electrical accessory (like the brake lights, head lights or radio) while at idle. Changing the distributor and coil solved the problem. I changed the coil because the Remund units use a 12V coil without the resistor.

pamnjay    -- 11-29-2011 @ 6:44 PM
  In looking at my original invoice from R. Remund shows the dist. as F-42-48-6 and the Ign Mod. as #28W-6VPT.

Thanks for the info.
Jay

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=4038