Topic: Steering wheel removal

FFracer    -- 11-28-2011 @ 6:20 PM
  Got the new shaft bearing thought I could just loosen the nut hit it with a hammer and the wheel would pop off... Didn't happen. I have several gear pullers, several steering wheel pullers, all of which require tapped holes in the wheels center section. The steering wheel on the 33 is smooth all the way around, you cannot get behind it, you cant get inside (No lip), and no tapped 1/4 x 20 holes. The wheel is in awesome condition so I am no-way going to try and pound on it!
There must be a special tool or trick any help??

Thanks,
Chris

kubes40    -- 11-29-2011 @ 7:04 AM
  There is a special tool for removing this type of wheel. It has two "fingers' that are properly placed behind the wheel hub. The "screw" is of course placed on the center shaft where the pressure would be applied.
the one I use I have wrapped with dense cloth in order to avoid damaging the finish on restored wheels.

FFracer    -- 11-29-2011 @ 7:45 AM
  Thanks for the reply but it looks like the puller would damage the backside if I had to apply any sort of decent pressure even with the padding. I think I am going to make a template drill two holes about 2" apart at 12 & 6 o'clock tap a 5/16-24 and use a conventional puller. Just got to make sure I don't drill through the backside of the hub

Chris

37 Coupe    -- 11-29-2011 @ 8:02 AM
  This is what I did to remove steering wheel on my 37 Ford . Had remover made for 46 Ford that had holes,which were 5/16"-24,transferred to 37 wheel,drilled(carefully) and tapped(carefully),came right off. It will work but good luck anyway.

supereal    -- 11-29-2011 @ 10:58 AM
  Don't pound on the end of the shaft, or it is likely the fine threads will be damaged, opening a whole new set of problems.

FFracer    -- 11-30-2011 @ 7:47 AM
  Drilled, tapped, and pulled it off no problem. pounded in the new roller bearing from Dan. Just waiting for a new battery cable so I can run it & see if the bearing helped with the ridiculously STIFF steering.

Thanks to all,
Chris

kubes40    -- 11-30-2011 @ 8:50 AM
  Even with the stock bushing you never should have had ridiculously stiff steering. The bearing will of course help but I am willing to bet the real problem lies elsewhere. Namely, the gears are not adjusted correctly. Secondly, front chassis problem(s).

FFracer    -- 11-30-2011 @ 9:19 AM
  It does appear My dad rebuilt the front end so the king pins, links & ends are all good. I did find the replaced column Rubber/bronze bushing looked fairly new so I am not expecting great changes. I am trying to find information on box adjustment. the box was of course wet looking but dry inside. I poured in some gear oil, it of course leaked out so i packed some lightweight grease. This all came about from an experience I had making a right turn... The steering just got tighter and tighter felt like a seizing motor. No problem with the wheels off the ground.

Thanks, Chris

trjford8    -- 11-30-2011 @ 7:44 PM
  The leaking of the oil is likely caused by a broken tube that is attached to the bottom of the steering box. That tube extends up into the box and the horn rod passes through that same tube. The plate and tube are held on by four small bolts at the bottom of the steering box. You will have to remove the light switch to get to the plate.
It sounds like someone made an adjustment to the box while the wheels were in the straight ahead position. That will cause the steering to bind when going into a turn.If you have the 32-37 Ford service bulletin book there are instructions there for adjusting the steering box.If you don't have the book it is available at most of the V-8 parts vendors.It's a must have for your Ford library.

FFracer    -- 12-01-2011 @ 7:45 AM
  Yeap, I order the 33-34 Ford book yesterday from the V8 club. Then I went looking for the 32-37 service bullitens book. Finally found one on E-Bay for $12.50, picked that up. Really am looking forward to getting this steering right.

Thanks,
Chris

supereal    -- 12-01-2011 @ 10:57 AM
  Check to be sure that the bearing on the kingpins is in the correct position on the underside of the axle. We often find them on top when stiff steering is reported. It is also possible that the king pins were not properly fitted. After driving the bushings into the spindles, they must be reamed to provide adequate clearance to provide easy steering.

This message was edited by supereal on 12-1-11 @ 10:58 AM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=4036