Topic: up date

46fordnut    -- 11-27-2011 @ 2:28 PM
  as i have said i would keep you posted .. my 46 ford was having issues cutting off..i did some work today.. new fuel pump and line from pump to carb . then i did find one really dumb thing ..my tank was empty!!! i guess that would cause my car to keep cutting off. runs great now i have gas in the tank. thanks for the help once again

100 horse running wild

Stroker    -- 11-27-2011 @ 3:30 PM
  You are now an Official Member of the Murphy Institute of Troubleshooting. I believe at least 90% of our Forum contributors are also dues-paying members. I became a member back in the 50's, but I have renewed my membership as recently as last month when I was getting ready to
take my late-model Ford in for a computer-scan, as it was severely down on power. I decided to service it first, and found a large "coffee-can-sized" critter nest in the air cleaner.

trjford8    -- 11-28-2011 @ 1:00 PM
  We are all a member of this club. We learn from our mistakes. You never repeat them after making one. It stays in the memory bank which is the Bank of Knowledge.

TomO    -- 11-29-2011 @ 10:09 AM
  Tom, I knew that I was doing something wrong, I repeat some of my mistakes and then remember them, instead of remembering them before I repeat them.

Tom

supereal    -- 11-29-2011 @ 10:50 AM
  It is surprising how many vehicles come to our shop "on the hook" when they "suddenly stopped". One of the first questions we ask is "how much fuel is in the tank". Surprisingly, that question sometime offends the owner who says "how dumb do you think I am?". We had one of those just yesterday. Today's high pressure fuel pumps in the tank use the fuel as a cooling medium, and they will often fail if the fuel level is allowed to drop low, or run out. We advise owners to keep the level above about 1/3, at a minimum, to protect the pump, because replacement runs in the area of $500-$1,000, and sometimes higher. In most cases, the tank has to come out, and pumps are usually only available with the pickup and gauge sender as a unit.

46fordnut    -- 11-29-2011 @ 5:26 PM
  yes.. i just put one in my wife's van.. i did it. i cost me for the part alone 300.

100 horse running wild

trjford8    -- 11-29-2011 @ 7:15 PM
  TomO, in my post I used the word "never" which is not a good idea. I usually have to eat "the word never"!

BERTHA    -- 12-13-2011 @ 3:22 PM
  "....... I repeat some of my mistakes and then remember them, instead of remembering them before I repeat them."

I have a really hard time deciding what to forget too make room for what I need to remember.

"it's only original once"

Bob

This message was edited by BERTHA on 12-13-11 @ 3:24 PM

supereal    -- 12-13-2011 @ 8:58 PM
  One of the best uses for a digital camera is to document your project as you go, and supplement them with written notes. For us in the "over the hill gang", these are essential, as the old brain box grinds slowly, if at all. No one lives long enough to make all the mistakes. The record is also very valuable when the inevitable time comes to sell. Keep a file for all receipts from parts purchases, and other costs.

TomO    -- 12-14-2011 @ 7:12 AM
  Thanks , Super, I now have the knowledge to look forward to making many more mistakes. I was thinking that I had already made most of them and was starting over at the beginning.

Tom

supereal    -- 12-14-2011 @ 4:30 PM
  I dunno Tom. After I passed my mid 70's, I found that I am not only repeating my mistakes, but I don't give a you-know-what about it! As far as I can see, that is the only upside of the "golden years"! Bob.

Old Henry    -- 12-14-2011 @ 8:16 PM
  One of my dues installments to M.I.T. (Murphy's etc) was paid on the 18th day of our restoration of "Old Henry." Here is my restoration progress report to the family for that day.

Day 18 1/2
Tuesday, October 3, 2006
This day only counts for some comic relief - nothing more.
At about 6:15 P.M. I decided to take Ol' Henry down to Oak Canyon Jr. High field to pick up Morgan from his Lacrosse practice. I got just across 4th East when the engine died. I tried starting it again and it sort of started but wouldn't keep running. I wondered, "What now?" I called AnnaRae to bring some gas to "drizzle" like we'd had to do in the past to get it going. That
didn't work this time. She went on down and picked up Morgan. They came by on their way home to see how I was doing getting it started. Morgan made the comment, "Maybe it's out of gas." I didn't think so as we'd driven it so little on 5 gallons we'd put in to start with. To make a long story short, I spent the next 3 hours dismantling the carburetor, the fuel pump,
the fuel lines, two or three trips to AutoZone for various creative parts, trying everything
imaginable there on the side of the road to get the gas to pump into the carburetor. Finally at
about 9:45 P.M. I tried sucking the gas from the tank with my mouth. Nothing came. I opened the gas
cap, bounced the car a little to see if I could hear gas in the tank. Silence. The dang thing WAS
just out of gas!!
As soon as the gas was in Henry started right up and purred like a tiger.
How many times after that did I say to myself: "You bumbling, blithering idiot! You fool! You
dim bulb! Numb nuts! Bumpkin! Etc! Etc!" I'd wasted my whole night (that I had plenty else to
do) for NOTHING! Stupeedo!!
Now here's the real catcher: Earlier today AnnaRae asked whether the car might run out of gas soon. I said, "Naw. We put 5 gallons of gas in and haven't driven it very far." Then, of course,there was Morgan's suggestion that it was out of gas that I knew better than.
So, next time you think of some amazing mental prowess that I possess always remember day 18
1/2. Cindy was right that Mom only borned 4 smart kids except it was ME that was not one of
them!

Old Henry
(The older I get, the better old looks.)

This message was edited by Old Henry on 12-14-11 @ 8:18 PM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=4031