Topic: 1953 Fordomatic Question

BERTHA    -- 12-03-2009 @ 10:23 AM
  A little anal about "Bertha"!
Unrestored original Victoria thats been in the Family since new.
No real problems with the tranny, but it's been over 15 yrs since I used the last of the OEM fluid that was in the trunk when we got her in 1976.

What do you think guy's,would you change it?,if so,what should I use.

supereal    -- 12-03-2009 @ 11:30 AM
  You didn't say how many miles the car has on it. The proper fluid to use is "Type A" or its equivalent. When you check the fluid level, look at the color, and sniff the fluid. If the fluid is relatively clear, and you don't find a burnt smell, and the transmission seems to work well, I wouldn't do more than keep the fluid at the proper level and drive the car. Once an old automatic is opened, almost always problems begin. If the transmission hasn't been abused, it is likely there are lots of miles left in it. As the old saying goes "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

BERTHA    -- 12-03-2009 @ 2:13 PM
  44600mi

supereal    -- 12-03-2009 @ 2:19 PM
  In that case, I'd drive it. You are very fortunate to have such a low mileage Victoria.

Grant    -- 12-04-2009 @ 6:50 PM
  Our '52 Ranch Wagon's Fordomatic is still a little ornery about shifting, even though the linkage was adjusted after receiving advice from some of you gentlemen. It seems to want me to lift my foot up off the gas pedal at exactly the right rpm......otherwise, it won't go into high gear.

Is Type A the same fluid as Dexron ? That's what I am currently using. Until several years ago (+-2000 miles?) the fluid being added as the level went down was Type F. Undoubtedly all the Type F dribbled out long ago. Who makes the best Type A for these old transmissions ?

Thanks again for all your help.

Regards, Grant ?

BERTHA    -- 12-05-2009 @ 4:48 AM
  Checking around after my first post this is what I put in the trunk.....

https://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Other_Products/Mobil_Type_F_ATF.aspx

This message was edited by BERTHA on 12-5-09 @ 4:51 AM

39 Ken    -- 12-05-2009 @ 5:11 AM
  We're just going through this with a friends car. He has a '51 Ford with a Ford-o-matic. He has old paper work from tranny repair from long ago and it says that type "F" is required in his trans. Where did you get the Mobil type "F"? Thanks. Ken

Grant    -- 12-05-2009 @ 8:28 AM
  I used to buy Type F transmission fluid from the local farmers' Co-op store.

Auto Zone usually carries it in the USA. Probably most farm equipment dealers would also have Type F, or be able to get it for you.

In Canada (that's where we are.......100 miles east of Detroit) there are a lot of different transmission fluids sold at Canadian Tire stores.

Regards, Grant

supereal    -- 12-05-2009 @ 10:43 AM
  Grant: Check the contacts in the governor. If they are dirty or burned, they won't make the constant contact required for an upshift.

Grant    -- 12-05-2009 @ 12:31 PM
  Thanks, supereal. That is something I haven't tried yet.

BERTHA    -- 12-05-2009 @ 9:27 PM
  Ken...

The NAPA store I used to deal with was able to get it from the local NAPA distributor.

39 Ken    -- 12-06-2009 @ 3:56 AM
  Thanks for the info. We use NAPA for many parts, but never thought about the type "F". Ken

supereal    -- 12-06-2009 @ 8:28 AM
  At our shop, we use half a dozen parts houses, but call NAPA when we want hard to find stuff. Some time ago, we needed a "universal" choke cable assembly. Not only did NAPA have it when no one else even knew what we were talking about, but they had 4 sizes, one 9 feet long!

buford8    -- 12-07-2009 @ 8:09 AM
  I wasn't aware of an electric governor(contact points?) in a Fordomatic transmission...am I missing something?

supereal    -- 12-07-2009 @ 8:49 AM
  You are right. There is a governor in the Fordomatic, but it is a fluid valve, not an electric unit, as in the overdrive. Still, it is usually the cause of poor shifting. It controls the front clutch by overcoming the spring pressure of the control valve when a speed of about 30 mph is reached. It rides the output shaft. The only access to the governor is by removing the tail shaft housing, not a job for an amateur. Thanks for catching my error. It has been a very long time since I had a Fordomatic apart.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=403