Topic: Hesitation off idle?

Flatbob    -- 11-20-2011 @ 3:15 PM
  Got a rebuilt fuel pump and carb. and engine stumbles off of idle when I stab the pedal; what could be the problem?

supereal    -- 11-20-2011 @ 3:58 PM
  Try adjusting the accelerator pump stroke by placing the link on the throttle shaft in a different hole that lengthens the stroke. Just pull the link out and set it in the new place, and push the link in. If this doesn't help, check the float level to be sure it is correct. Many "rebuilt" carbs seem to be causing trouble. There are three classes of that area: repaired, rebuilt, and remanufactured. Too often "rebuilding" is just installing a kit, and not subjecting the body to a complete cleaning in a solution required for complete removal of years of deposits.

ford38v8    -- 11-20-2011 @ 4:17 PM
  Bob, Supereal got it right. Installing a kit doesn't mean it's as goood as it gets, and there are also differences in the quality of the kits. As Super advised, set your accelerator pump lever at the next longer stroke, (I always set mine at the longest stroke) and also, (with the engine off) peer down the carb while you operate the accelerator pump. If it doesn't squirt from both jets, the pump is not functional, meaning the check valve is stuck or missing, or the leather (must be leather) piston is dry and hard.

Alan

Flatbob    -- 11-20-2011 @ 9:46 PM
  This is a carb from "Uncle Max;" am confident in his work. Maybe moving from "Summer" setting to "Winter" will help. Will try tomorrow.

Flatbob    -- 11-21-2011 @ 11:45 AM
  Changing to the winter position on the carb. solved the hesitation problem off idle, could this all be due to he cooler weather?

supereal    -- 11-21-2011 @ 1:33 PM
  That was the idea, but most of us use the long stroke "winter" position year round.

ken ct.    -- 11-23-2011 @ 6:17 PM
  You could also have the shorter of the 2 diff sizes of rods. I always use the longer one on all of the stroms. long measures 3.805" short one is 3.645 off the carb and end to end. ken ct.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=3997