Topic: Cylinder head question

joe b    -- 11-20-2011 @ 1:15 PM
  I have two cylinder heads. Both have 59A-6050 B stamped on them. I understand this however, each has a small plate with raised letters. One has H 257 the other NC 277. These plates are scr*w*d on with small slotted screws next to the stampings. What do these plates mean?

ford38v8    -- 11-20-2011 @ 2:39 PM
  Joe, Ford never had an identifying plate screwd onto heads. Your plates are likely the result of an engine rebuild at some time before you bought it.

Alan

alanwoodieman    -- 11-20-2011 @ 2:53 PM
  do you mean the moulds had the plate scr*w*d to them and you can see them in the casting? probable date-shift-markings

kubes40    -- 11-20-2011 @ 3:35 PM
  Alan is correct about this. The plates are not really scr*w*d to the head. Rather, the plate was scr*w*d in to the mold. It was a mirror image and was used to identify the mold and / or date of manufacture. These were NOT used on heads supplied to the assembly line but rather service parts.

joe b    -- 11-21-2011 @ 6:30 AM
  Kubes Does this mean that the heads are after market?
If these plates were are attached before the heads were cast why are the other factory markings there also?

kubes40    -- 11-21-2011 @ 7:15 AM
  Joe,
Not after-market but service replacement parts. Made for Ford and most likely by Ford.
I have had heads like you speak of. Quite common are '36 heads with this "plate' dated usually 1947.
This plate was affixed to the mold prior to pouring the steel. It was a way of tracking when and / or what mold was used to make the head(s).
The molds used to make these service replacement parts were most likely the very same ones that made the assembly line parts when the cars were being built. That is why all the other identifiers are present. the "plate" was added for the reasons I mentioned above.
Heads with dates like this are NOT concourse correct.

joe b    -- 11-21-2011 @ 1:21 PM
  Thanks Kubes. It makes sense now. I am not interested in concourse judging, plus these plates are on the bottom of the head and would require a mirror to see them.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=3996