Topic: Radiator Neck Leak

Steves46    -- 12-03-2009 @ 5:28 AM
  One thing for sure there is never a dull moment with these flatheads. When I opened the hood on my 46, I noticed a small sludge build-up where the metal overflow tube connects to the neck of the radiator. Since there is some flexibility in the line, I suspect the slight movement from vibration may have loosened things up. I'll install a zip-tie at the bottom of the tube to immobilize movement however, what can I apply around the tube to radiator neck area to stop the seepage? Will JB-Weld do the job? I want to resolve this before it gets worse. Many thanks.

efv8    -- 12-03-2009 @ 6:59 AM
  jb weld should work fine just make sure to have clean metal where you apply,however it will be difficult to seal at the very bottom of the tube! worth a try and beats pulling the radiator,good luck 47dlx

trjford8    -- 12-03-2009 @ 7:26 AM
  If you have a local radiator shop they may be able to fix it while it is still in the car.

supereal    -- 12-03-2009 @ 8:26 AM
  It isn't unusual for the overflow tube to vibrate loose, but it has to be securely fastened, or any repair will soon shake loose, too. JB Weld isn't as good as having the tube resoldered, of course, but at least the radiator doesn't have to be pulled to do it. We have inserted a small section of tubing into the overflow from inside the radiator neck, being careful that the end is flush. Then you can seal it with some expectation that it will last a while.

ford38v8    -- 12-03-2009 @ 8:42 AM
  Steve, don't use JBWeld or anything else. Take your car to a radiator shop
as Tom advised. It's a simple fix now, but once you mess with it, it gets
more expensive to correct mistakes. If they require the radiator to be out
of the car for the fix, they'll also do a regular maintenance check while it's
out. Meanwhile, don't worry about loss of water, as any water that reaches
that point is overflow anyway.

Alan

Steves46    -- 12-03-2009 @ 8:54 AM
  Thanks to you and everyone else for the quick feedback. Weather permitting, I will take a ride over to my local radiator shop and hope for an easy fix.

supereal    -- 12-03-2009 @ 2:26 PM
  As Alan points out, any loss of coolant is from overflow that isn't under pressure. While it can cause droplets to appear now and then, if the cooling system is performing OK, it is hardly worth pulling the radiator. We have also sealed those leaks with black RTV silicone.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=399