Topic: type of camshaft

pipo,36    -- 11-17-2011 @ 12:44 PM
  We have a Ford V8 engine with 21 stud, that came of a generator. On the deck for the engine number standsIND*18*....Is there a differance between an ind engine and a car engine. Is it the camshaft and why and can I use an ind. cam in a car engine? Thank you.
Leo.

supereal    -- 11-17-2011 @ 1:58 PM
  To my knowledge, there is no difference between the car camshaft and the industrial type. Ford cams are noted for their endurance, and I'd just run it.

Stroker    -- 11-17-2011 @ 3:34 PM
  Pipo:

I believe that Supereal is correct in that the auto,commercial and industrial engines
all share the same valve timing. You didn't say what year your 21 stud was, but there were some changes made in valve timing (duration) made in the mid-thirties that increased the exhause/intake overlap for increased power at higher rpms. Thanks to improved fuels, allowing for higher compression ratios, the cams were again changed to a "milder" profile in the later 21 stud motors in 37, which made for more low-end "grunt" and improved idle smoothness. The stock 36 cam has a very slight "lope" at idle, owing to its' longer duration. I no longer have the spec's on these, but I still have a NOS 36 cam that could be degree'd if one really needed to know. I believe the lift and lobe separation on all 21-stud cams remained the same, and only the duration changed according to year. This would be a great research project for someone like Lincoln, as hard documentation or even discussion is rare. Back in my dissipated youth, the most sought-after stock camshaft core was a 32, because if was a machined billet steel piece as opposed to all the later cast iron cores, and as such could be welded up to provide more material in the lobe area for long-duration cams
without reducing the diameter of the base-circle. Due to inherent lousy breathing, flatheads
respond particularly well to increased duration. Most aftermarket flathead racing cams are
therefore much more "radical" than their OHV counterparts.

pipo,36    -- 11-19-2011 @ 10:55 AM
  In my spare parts I found two camshafts with other cams than normal one is the press on type the other the bolt on type. Both have the mark 5-T on the front near the ignition slots. They came from different engines. One from a 37 21 stud the other from a 24 stud.
Both were used for a generator plant May be engines from Dagenham U.K.because we live in Europe.
Leo.

supereal    -- 11-19-2011 @ 11:17 AM
  The press-on timing gears were used from 32-40, and the bolt-on type, 35-48. The six cylinder "G" engines used the press-on type, while the "H" type used bolts. The benefit of the bolt type gears was that they could be more easily replaced in the field. Other than the the timing gear attachment, the camshafts were identical. Most press-on cams were replaced with the bolt-on when the engines were rebuilt. Both fiber and aluminum timing gears are used with both methods.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=3987