Topic: 1941 Ford Tudor Sedan Water Heater

sthielwcd3    -- 11-15-2011 @ 5:48 PM
  Looking to add a water heater to my 41 Ford Tudor Sedan.
Originally it came with the convection air version, but rust, missing parts that are hard to find and...plenty of bad info about the ineffective convection type leads me to invest in a the hot water model. Who or where can I go to get parts, instructions,etc?
Any advice would be appreciated.
Sh*lly (Sheldon)

ST

joe b    -- 11-16-2011 @ 7:06 AM
  I don't know where you live but I have used Larry Caplan in Ca. He specializes in 1932-1948 Ford heaters.
818 366 9178 lccaplan@aol.com.
He has heaters, tools, and parts. I used him when I put a heater in my '41.

TomO    -- 11-16-2011 @ 7:25 AM
  Larry is a good source for heater information and parts. You will probably have better luck contacting him by phone than by E-Mail.

The 41 heater is very similar in design to the 46-47 heater with the 3 doors. The 41 heater has the defroster knob on the heater and the later cars use a cable to activate the defroster. The difficult part to find for the 41 heater is the switch and mounting plate. The switch knob looks like the later knobs, but the skirt is smaller. This might be caught by a sharp judge, but if your car is a driver, the later switch is available on E-Bay quite often and it will work fine.

Tom

supereal    -- 11-17-2011 @ 10:24 AM
  If you are not a purist, several vendors offer a hot water heater. For instance, C&G shows one in their catalog for both 6 and 12 volt applications. Expect to pay about $200. Finding and buying a "real" heater can be tricky, as many have defective motors, leaky cores, missing controls, or all of the above. The last one I bought came from a junkyard in Missouri, and looked like it. We did get it ready for use, after lots of cleaning, some repairs, and a coat of new "hammertone" paint. Be sure to install a valve type connction on the passenger side head, as these things can certainly warm your feet in the summer.

sthielwcd3    -- 11-22-2011 @ 3:09 PM
  Great contact. Had discussion with him today. Have ordered heater and misc. Looking forward to working with my mechanic to install. I am sure that I will face some bumpy roads in process, but that is expected with vehicles of this vintage.
Thanks again for the info.

ST

sthielwcd3    -- 11-22-2011 @ 3:12 PM
  Tom,
If you are same person who put me in touch with Mr. Davis and others this past spring/summer....you are a trooper. This forum has been so helpful for a rookie.
I replied to Joe B. as follows:

Great contact. Had discussion with him today. Have ordered heater and misc. Looking forward to working with my mechanic to install. I am sure that I will face some bumpy roads in process, but that is expected with vehicles of this vintage.

ST

sthielwcd3    -- 11-22-2011 @ 3:14 PM
  Thanks for the tips. Will share with my mechanic. All of you on the forum are so helpful.
Not sure if you see the replies to others, but the following is my reply to Joe B:

ST

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=3981