Topic: 49 gear lockup

40fordor    -- 11-15-2011 @ 6:56 AM
  A friend has purchased a really good one owner 49 convertable and is having problems with the transmission gears locking up. At my age I remember this problem and we would crawl under and work with the shift levers but I need to know now how to do this and what needs to be done to eleminate the problem.
Don

alanwoodieman    -- 11-15-2011 @ 9:11 AM
  sound like the column shift rods are out of adjustment, most of the time this is caused by the rubber insulators on the rod ends from being worn out/missing. Check that first. to adjust remove low/ reverse rod, place trans in neutral, alighn the shifter arms on the steering column-making sure the trans is in neutral and then adjust the low/reverse rod to go into its proper arm on the trans. Hopefully there is no internal damage in the trans causing the problem

supereal    -- 11-15-2011 @ 9:16 AM
  It is often a linkage problem that may be cured by adjustment. It can also stem from excessive wear in the steering column shift tube, as well as the blocker inside the transmission side plate that prevents shifting into another gear until neutral has been reached. Try adjustment by placing the shift levers under the hood in neutral, then disconnest the shift rods at the transmission levers and adjust the rods until they slip onto the transmission lever pins without moving the levers. If you have excessive "slop" in the levers on the steering column, it is likely the pin that engages the levers is badly worn, and will need replacement. If not, the blocker spring inside the sideplate is either weak or broken, or the shift levers are loose on the shafts of the sideplate due to worn pins or egg shaped holes. Another place to check is the gear shift lever, itself. If it has excess play, the inside end may be worn or broken. It is important to fix this problem before serious damage occurs to the transmission.

supereal    -- 11-15-2011 @ 12:25 PM
  Here is the shop manual item on shifter adjustment.

johnpoly    -- 11-15-2011 @ 4:44 PM
  I have a '40 Packard with the same problem. It is usually caused by shifting too fast from first to second. When it happens, I open the hood and physically pull up on the first linkage to align with the second. now shift in a decisive "H" pattern by pulling the shift lever toward me and lifting it into neutral, then shifting into second. It works all the time.

TomO    -- 11-16-2011 @ 7:49 AM
  Supereal gave the most common causes of the problem, shifting fast is an aggravating action that causes worn parts to fail.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=3977