Topic: Steering Column bearing kit

FFracer    -- 11-14-2011 @ 6:53 PM
  I was told by a friend that this last year there was an article about replacing a steering column bushing with a roller or Ball bearing, That in fact a kit was made. can anyone tell me the month of this article or if this kit will work for a 33 cabriolet, or even better who i can get hold of for the kit.

Thanks,
Chris

alanwoodieman    -- 11-14-2011 @ 7:13 PM
  I got my last one from Joblot in NY

Kens 36    -- 11-14-2011 @ 7:57 PM
  Chris,

The article was in the May/June 2010 V-8 Times and was about the aftermarket bearing kit built by V-8 Club member Dan Brusegard of Minnesota. It will work on your car - I found it easy to install and well worth the cost.

Dan's contact info is in the V-8 Club Roster. Let me know if you need more information.

Ken

v8teditor    -- 11-14-2011 @ 8:08 PM
  There will be another article from Dick Flynn in the Nov/Dec TIMES about replacing this bearing. He says the bearings are available in a kit from C&G Early Ford Parts in Escondido, CA. They advertise in the TIMES, their ad can be found in the Advisor section.

flatheadfan    -- 11-15-2011 @ 1:10 AM
  Chris-

There are several ways this can be done without laying out a lot of cash. I know of several guys who have used a bearing found at many local hardware stores. It is called a replacement "wheel barrow" bearing. The cost is under $5 and fits perfectly into the Ford steering column.

Another option is a factory Ford upper steering bearing used on many Fords well into the 1970s. This is what I am using in my '35. I don't know if the item is a currently stocked but it was readily available from your local Ford dealer. The part numbers are C3DZ-3517A and B1AZ-3518A. Cost is less than $10. Below is a picture of what the assembly looks like in a Ford steering tube

Hope this helps.

Tom

FFracer    -- 11-15-2011 @ 7:02 AM
  Found my may/June 2010 Times very nice piece. I forgot my roster can you give me Dan contact information, I would like to get that ordered today if possible.

Thanks again and again....

Chris

FFracer    -- 11-15-2011 @ 10:31 AM
  found it
Thanks,
Chris

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=3976