Topic: Blue Dot taillight lenses

daoust    -- 11-14-2011 @ 3:57 AM
  Were blue dot taillight lenses ever original equipment? I see them available for almost all model years. My 47 convertible does not currently have them but should it? If they're supposed to be there I want them. If they're not, I don't. Opinions?

David Daoust

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 11-14-2011 @ 5:55 AM
  they were aftermarket accessories,
I have them on my 37, when they light up it is purple,when you hit the brakes,
pretty neat,been on the car for more then 30 years,
if you buy them make sure they are glass,not plastic,
hope this help 37RAGTOPMAN

ford38v8    -- 11-14-2011 @ 6:30 AM
  David, blue dots were never an option on any new cars, even those disgusting chebbies. They are a hotrod accessory, and will get you a ticket if you run into a Chip who's having a bad day.

Alan

keith oh    -- 11-14-2011 @ 7:44 AM
  They will cut down on brightness of an allready dim tail light.

TonyM    -- 11-14-2011 @ 8:42 AM
  Not only do they diminish the brightness of the tail lights, but they are illegal in some states. Keep your car as authentic as possible--skip the blue dots. My opinion: they detract from the good looks of the Ford V-8 automobile.

Good luck.

TM

daoust    -- 11-14-2011 @ 8:46 AM
  Thank you Alan. So again, in a EFV8 judged event, points would be deducted for blue dot lenses...is that accurate?

David Daoust

TonyM    -- 11-14-2011 @ 8:59 AM
  Yes, points deducted for bluedots.

Check the judging standards in your EFV-8 Roster/handbook.

TM

Old Henry    -- 11-15-2011 @ 9:44 PM
  I have both the stock lenses for car shows judging authenticity and blue dots the rest of the time because they really do look cool at night. But, I had to put in halogen bulbs to get the cops to quit stopping me because they thought I had no tail lights. The blue dots all but obliterate the light of a stock dim bulb. Funny thing is that, even though blue dot lenses are illegal in my state, (Utah) only one of the many cops that have stopped me have ever said anything about them.

Old Henry
(The older I get, the better old looks.)

trjford8    -- 11-21-2011 @ 9:45 AM
  I agree with TonyM about the blue dots. They definitely diminish the brightness of the lights. They are extremly dim in the daytime. Not good for safety.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=3971