Topic: 38 Brake Cables

john38coupe    -- 11-13-2011 @ 11:49 AM
  Installing NOS mechanical brake cables on my 38 and would like to know what if any paint treatment I should give them before installation. I am targeting Concourse point-judging and your previous experience in this area is helpful.

ford38v8    -- 11-13-2011 @ 7:07 PM
  John, No paint was applied to orginal cables. The lubricant I used was 5th wheel grease, which will resist extreme temperatures and moisture, providing a waterproof, freezeproof lubrication for the system.

Alan

john38coupe    -- 11-13-2011 @ 7:18 PM
  Thanks Alan, are you refering to packing the brake cable conduit with 5th wheel grease?

ford38v8    -- 11-13-2011 @ 9:50 PM
  John, yes, and I happen to know how you dearly love that stuff!

Alan

john38coupe    -- 11-13-2011 @ 10:08 PM
  You are so right Alan. I used Lucus 5th Wheeler and Slider Lube for the springs and it was like a heavy machine oil with graphite. Quite liquid and gravity controls where it goes. Not a normal paste grease. Is that your experience also? Thanks

ford38v8    -- 11-13-2011 @ 10:55 PM
  John, no, that was not my experience. A good 5th wheel grease should be thick and sticky. Not subject to gravity at all.

Alan

john38coupe    -- 11-14-2011 @ 5:19 AM
  Thanks Alan, if you could recommend a brand, please do.

alanwoodieman    -- 11-14-2011 @ 5:47 AM
  if the cables are off the car use the "flowing type" hang up from one end and let gravity help you. I think you will find that it will help along with moving the outer cable up and down. It was meant to be more liguid until the carrier fluid disapates

ford38v8    -- 11-14-2011 @ 6:21 AM
  John, I don't remember what brand I used. I got it at a truck stop, and I don't remember seeing any option of "flowing type" as alanwoodieman suggests. What I did was wrap the conduit end in a rag clamped in a bench vise. Keeping one hand clean to push the cable in, I used my other hand to goop the cable. Work smart and avoid a big mess.

Alan, I'm not familiar with the "flowing type" as you suggest, but would imagine that if the carrier is a type that evaporates, the grease may harden to the point of becoming ineffective as a lube and moisture barrier. I was under the impression that back in the day, the cable's biggest enemy was moisture that could freeze, causing inoperable brakes.

Alan

john38coupe    -- 11-14-2011 @ 5:15 PM
  Thanks Guys - I purchased some Permatex 5th Wheel Grease today and its a paste that won't flow with gravity. I assume the intent is to fill the conduit void with as much grease as possible to maintain its placement and therefore function. I'll try that probably the same method you used Alan. Thanks again. Secondly, not being painted directly, I assume the brake cables probably got hit with some chassis black during some point of the assembly process but the Mallast book does not specify. Thanks again.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=3967